cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezer capability on Alaska Ferry

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who have gone from Haines to Bellingham or similar distance, how did you handle the frozen food? We have used the ferry previously from Prince Rupert to Juneau and had no problem, but from Haines to Bellingham is more than 3 days. Hopefully our freezer will be full of fish, and we would prefer to go all the way to Bellingham rather than get off at Prince Rupert. Suggestions or experiences please.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog
11 REPLIES 11

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. We are going to do the ferry from Haines to Bellingham!
Full timing since 2004

Our Blog

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
It's also available at the IGA in Haines.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

AK_Old_Timer
Explorer
Explorer
Dry ice is available at the Safeway in Juneau.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
It will keep in a foam cooler. I do it all the time and without gelpaks but they are a nice addition. We do it Tom and Barbs way.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
I regularly order Alaskan seafood from a cannery in Snug Harbor. It is shipped frozen with gel packs in an insulated box inside a cardboard box. It is delivered by FedEx within 36 hours and is always frozen solid. I have also kept food frozen for up to four days on canoe-camping trips. We designate one cooler for the extended stuff, wrap everything in newspaper and pack it tightly with dry ice. We keep an insulated bag over the cooler and never open it until we are ready to prepare the food inside. I think you can do this. Good luck. lizzie
Evidently this is the way to do it. lizzie

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the only way to do this: Have your fish frozen at any portside cannery (they usually charge per pound) overnight. purchase an insulated fish box from them and remove the insulated box from the outer cardboard, Depending on the size of the box place frozen gel packs on the bottom, fill box with fish and place 2 or 3 gel packs on top. Important part... tape insulated box completely shut and then place in cardboard outer box, taping it completely shut. You must have gel packs and you must tape everything. Fish On!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Pack it full and allow the freezer to freeze solid fora couple days prior to the sailing and you will be OK for the trip. Our freezer will stay frozen for about 5 days if kept closed.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
We thought about that cooler idea with dry ice. Does anyone know if you can get dry ice in Haines and Ketchikan? We'll do that if we think we can fit several coolers in addition to our freezer, and really wonder if a cooler has better insulation than a freezer??
Full timing since 2004

Our Blog

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
You could also line your freezer with two inch rigid foam before you pack it. That would certainly help. There is also Coleman coolers that are very thick walled and can hold a freezer pack for up to five days if unopened. You could certainly build a foam box and put a cooler inside it in one of your underbelly compartments.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did it last 3+ days??
Full timing since 2004

Our Blog

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
pack it as full as possible and don't open it. You might try to find dry ice but we didn't have any luck with that.