cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting Through OK City

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
We will be pulling our 5th wheel going back to AZ and was wondering whats the best way to get through Oklahoma City. Some years ago we used the Kilpatrick Turnpike around the North and west ends of the city, but needed to pay the toll with coins. That was a royal pain.
Since that time we have gone right down the middle I44 to I40.

Looking for some input from folks knowledgeable about the area.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch
12 REPLIES 12

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I always take the 40 through town, no charge.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Vette Racer wrote:
We always use the turnpike when headed West or coming back home but we have the pikepass so don't know how much the toll is. Road is so much better that way.

Hey! Youโ€™re supposed to be doing Field Day today! Not messing around on the internet!

Um, well uh, never mind. Carry on. Lol

73โ€™s de N5USS

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
We always use the turnpike when headed West or coming back home but we have the pikepass so don't know how much the toll is. Road is so much better that way.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
flyfishing48 wrote:
OkieGene wrote:
Oklahoma is going to get rid of the toll booths and go with either a PikePass or will bill you via the US Mail (based from tag reading). This is not in effect yet but it is coming.

How do you pay on the Kilpatric right now.

I have a PikePass since I live here (but I do plan on moving to Green Valley in 2 years at retirement). PikePass originated in Oklahoma, now Oklahoma/Texas/Kansas are all linked together for travelers and billing purposes.

July 25th is the last day of being able to pay cash for any Oklahoma Turnpike. At this same time they are switching over to a license plate reader and will send you a bill in the mail to pay. Basically you'll just cruise right on through without ever slowing down and stopping, impeding traffic, etc.

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
iH-44 to IH-35 to IH-40
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:
Oklahoma is going to get rid of the toll booths and go with either a PikePass or will bill you via the US Mail (based from tag reading). This is not in effect yet but it is coming.

How do you pay on the Kilpatric right now.
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:
We always use the turnpike

What are the tolls currently, for a truck and dual axle 5er and is it unmanned coins only?
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
we use the middle route every year, trying to do it at late morning. we've never tried the turnpike.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

SKroamcampgroun
Explorer
Explorer
ive also used the turnpike. even though the tolls are pain, it's definitely the most direct route

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
We always use the turnpike

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you want to go way out of the way, those are your two choices.
I'd go right up the middle, mid day.