cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting to Alamogordo from the east with no mountains

Cyndi_H
Explorer
Explorer
In May we'll be going to Alamogordo, New Mexico from Lubbock, Texas, and do NOT want to take the highways that go through Cloudcroft or Ruidoso. Has anyone taken the 24 (Pinyon Dunkin Road) and the 506 (Owen Prather Hwy)? Just looking on a map, they appear to bypass the mountains, but we don't want to go that way unless we know it's a decent road. We'll be driving our Titan and towing a 28-foot trailer.
My blog: Wanderlust

'08 Keystone Sprinter 250RBS travel trailer
'10 Nissan Titan
8 REPLIES 8

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely Ruidoso. It would be a snap for you. As a word of caution, there is a huge speed trap around Hondo, 45 MPH for about 10 miles.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

Cyndi_H
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the very quick responses. Looks like we'll go through Ruidoso.

'10 Nissan Titan

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The Cloudcroft downhill is very steep, Ruidoso is a breeze with more lanes/room.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Cyndi_H
Explorer
Explorer
From what I remember, the Ruidoso route DOESN'T have a steep downhill on the westside like the Cloudcroft route, right? Sounds like the Ruidoso route is our best bet.

'10 Nissan Titan

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Why don't you want to go through Ruidoso. I haven't driven it, but my impression from other discussions is that this is an easy highway, 4 lane most of time.

It is very easy, but they said NOT. However getting to 24 to get to 506 may be just as hard as going through Ruidoso. And an hour or more on the road.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cyndi H wrote:
... and do NOT want to take the highways that go through Cloudcroft or Ruidoso. ...

Why don't you want to go through Ruidoso? I haven't driven it, but my impression from other discussions is that this is an easy highway, 4 lane most of time. On the east side of those mountains you are already at 5000', and only climb to 7500' before gradually dropping to 4000'.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the 24 and 506 on Google Maps or similar? That's what I do. Get to the street view and see the road for yourself.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
506 very hilly and curvy high desert. It would be much easier staying on 82
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado