cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gettysburg to Canton OH area?

mikenannie
Explorer
Explorer
On our way to Gettysburg from Canton, we drove the toll rd, I76 I believe. We then switched to the Old Lincoln Hwy, 30, at Breezwood, PA. The first 10 miles or so on 30 were a lot of work for the truck (and driver;)). The truck handled it ok, 2012 F150 Eco with Max Tow, trans temp did hit 210 for a short time though. Some pretty step grades that are also long in that stretch. Our trailer is small, sunset trail 20ck and about 5000#s.

On our return trip I was thinking about trying to avoid this section of hills and thought I'd check with everyone here for some suggestions.

Thanks. Mike
5 REPLIES 5

mikenannie
Explorer
Explorer
Jamboree89 wrote:
Take US15 north from Gettysburg towards Harrisburg, PA and pick up the PA turnpike there. No big hills all 4 lane.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, we did the us15 route. Longer than US 30, but much easier drive. Ended up taking 70 off the turnpike, somewhere south of Pittsburgh, then over to 77 in Ohio, north to Canton. 70 saved us some tolls, but the roadway wasn't as good as the turnpike and more traffic. And they were doing some construction for the first 30 miles or so. Still not too bad of a drive. There are some good, long 5-6% grades on 70 too. I find the Ecoboost does pretty well on these hills if you let it downshift to 5th at the start of the hills.

foneguy493
Explorer
Explorer
dude, we just went there 2 or so years ago DO NOT take pa 30 !!!! it is shorter but boy ohboy is it a long steep mountain, i would go from I76 to st rt 15 south. longer but easier on the truck . we use a 1500 ram quad cab hemi and a heavy hornet 27b.
take pictures.....leave bubbles

04 1500 ram 4x4
08 hornet 27b hideout

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There's no convenient way to get from Chambersburg to Breezewood when towing. You either go over the mountains or around.
Another option for you when returning from Gettysburg, take US 30 west to PA 997 north, just before Fayetteville, PA. Follow PA 997 until it puts you on the PA Turnpike at Exit 201, Blue Mountain. Then take the Turnpike west.
PA 997 is two lane but, good road and no big hills. Trucks use it to go from the Turnpike to the Letterkenny Army Depot.
You will pay a little more in tolls on the Turnpike.
That's the route I would take if traveling in our Southwind.
Enjoy your trip to G/burg.

Jamboree89
Explorer
Explorer
Take US15 north from Gettysburg towards Harrisburg, PA and pick up the PA turnpike there. No big hills all 4 lane.
1998 Monaco Dynasty
Scion Xb
Collin and Alfie the dogs

leaddog
Explorer
Explorer
One way to avoid the steep hills west of Chambersburg to Breezewood is to take I-70 to Breezewood. You will have one long hill, but it is only 6% and not that bad of a climb.

Take Rt 30 West to I-81 South at Chambersburg.
I-70 to Breezewood.
PA Turnpike West.

Not sure where you are heading on your return trip, but I-70 heads west at the New Stanton exit of the PA Turnpike.
2008 40ft Tiffin Allegro Bus
2014 Honda CR-V AWD