cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Canada and returning to U.S. with dogs

maryannharry
Explorer
Explorer
We will be traveling over into Canada with our two dogs. I have printed information on what I need from my vet to enter Canada. I need to know if we need something additional (other than a Rabies Vaccination Certificate required by Canada) to return back into the U.S. I called my USDA office but they have not returned my call yet. Anyone out there know information on this topic. Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
This year is one of those years when you need to be extra careful about pet food. Buy a brand that you can buy on both sides of the border.

You see, there is bird flu around. & poultry is often used as protein in pet food. Thus, if the border stations are likely to be told to implement the 'confiscate' regulation, that's when bird flu is around.

If your pet is on a prescription diet, carry the documentation from your vet.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
When we travel into the U.S. only a vaccination certificate has been required for our dogs and cat.

Be sure to leave your dog food in its original packaging, so that it says "Made in USA" on it. Sometimes there is a restriction on the meat ingredients but if the packaging indicates the food was made in US then it is okay for when you return to the US.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!