cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Golden Gate Bridge Toll

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just before Easter we crossed the Golden Gate in our dinghy. When we arrived back at our So Cal homebase last week, we had a letter waiting for us telling us that we were delinquent in paying the toll for crossing the bridge. DW contacted them by email & explained the situation. She offered that we would be more than willing to pay the toll, but would really appreciate a waiver of the penalty fees. They were kind enough to accommodate that request. Like to 'publicly' thank them & warn others who are enjoying extended travels and might be using the bridge.
30 REPLIES 30

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
One way tolls on the bay area bridges improved traffic flow. Then electronic only toll lanes were added with the cash lanes. The GG is the first bridge to have all electronic and eliminate toll collectors further reducing cost and increasing traffic flow.

I suspect that if the GG is viewed as a success the other 7 bridges may follow with all electronic lanes. However the GG is part of a separate district while the other bridges are state owned.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should have read more carefully. Toll is only for South bound. We were going North. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Moose

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
I crossed the Golden Gate in late April towing our 5th wh. I never saw any signs that said any thing about a toll. We're from MT. Have yet to receive any bill. Are we talking about the Golden Gate Bridge or am I confused?
Moose

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Wavesprite wrote:
Strange, we travelled over the bridge, on 4/10/15 and we haven't gotten anything yet. I keep thinking "when will that invoice arrive".

I crossed the Bridge on 5/14/15 and they sent the toll invoice exactly 2 weeks later. I paid it on line the on 5/18/15 but still got the invoice,copied the conformation letter and sent it back, hope that works. The Toll is only $7.00 but if you don't pay it within 3 weeks there is $25.00 fine on top of that.

Nice picture of the front of my rig on the Invoice.

Just to update this, today 6/6/15 they finally debited my card for the $7.00, so all is good with the Golden Gate Bridge Toll Invoice Processing Dept.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
At work, I received several invoices in May for bridge crossings in January - so there can be a long delay.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to their site and check for your license to be sure.

My understanding that they intend to bill the license from any state.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
So strange, it's been almost 2 months, no invoice yet. We have our vehicles registered in California, so I'm not sure. Maybe the cameras were down that day and we lucked out???

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I crossed the bridge a few times a couple years ago and never got anything. Personal vehicle not registered in CA.

Rentals are a pain because they will charge a "convenience charge" of approximately $15/day for every day you used the car if you go through one electronic toll booth. Charge will show up about a week after you turn in rental. Electronic tolls are easy for locals but I try to avoid them in rentals.

you need to ask the policy in advance. Avis is who bit me which is frustrating because I like their preferred service otherwise.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wavesprite wrote:
Strange, we travelled over the bridge, on 4/10/15 and we haven't gotten anything yet. I keep thinking "when will that invoice arrive".

I crossed the Bridge on 5/14/15 and they sent the toll invoice exactly 2 weeks later. I paid it on line the on 5/18/15 but still got the invoice,copied the conformation letter and sent it back, hope that works. The Toll is only $7.00 but if you don't pay it within 3 weeks there is $25.00 fine on top of that.

Nice picture of the front of my rig on the Invoice.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just used the Coronado Bay Bridge this morning. It was been toll free for some time now. When we were in the Bay Area, I was way too busy watching traffic & construction detours to notice something about the toll letter. We were definitely looking for toll booths! In the future we'll simply make arrangements to have our mail checked before we retune to our home base. (That's what grandkids are for, right?)

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
There's an APP for that. "The Toll Roads". You can set up an account, open a new account, one time toll, and toll locations and rates.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all! I'll make sure I arrange the toll with the rental agency. Man! What a complicated system! I understand saving the money by doing away with the toll booths, but it sure doesn't make things easy for an out of state traveler.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's why I recommended talking to the rental company. Per the link I posted, there are several different ways to handle things and a lot depends on what the rental company allows.

Both links talk about the "no more than 2 days after the crossing", but from experience with my work, they are very reasonable about waiving the penalty fees - being an out-of-state visitor and not knowing the process will likely get you a waiver easily.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)