cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Route from Spearfish, SD to Hwy 80 heading west

AKMoose
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for any comments of roads you might have taken in Wyoming. We will be pulling a 5th wheel leaving Spearfish, SD and heading to California on Hwy 80. There are several possible routes, but just wondering about roads in general. Thanks for any comments and help.
8 REPLIES 8

Travelr
Explorer
Explorer
Good road suggestions.. Just did that route with a 40Ft towing another 22 feet.. Would not go now.... weather not too good...LOL. My only complaint is the truckers think they own the road and will pass you if you are not doing 70 and they are road hogs.. Was run off on to the shoulder when the passing lane ended. The trucker had most of a mile to know it was ending yet he pulled out and around anyway...we ran out of road and he was not about to move to the on coming lane even though there was Zero traffic heading our way. I thought I might catch up with him but he just kept passing and passing and passing even when no passing lanes existed.
Ken Cash

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
WY anyplace can get windy so just use caution.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

AKMoose
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your input.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, but i would watch the weather report.

AKMoose
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your input. Would you drive these roads in mid to late October?

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I took the route jrp suggested in the reverse direction and would do it again

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind using some of Wy's well maintained secondary roads, here is my route.
From Spearfish, head W on I90 to Gillette, exit south on Wy59 to Wright. In Wright change to Wy 387 SW to Edgarton/Midwest where you can either jump on I25 via 387, or continue south on the 2 lane 259 to hit I25 further south. Then south to Casper where you exit onto 220/789/287 to I80 W at Rawlins.
Those back roads are all good, but watch out for the many antelope that graze in the grasslands right along the roadways.
Jim

Moved from Forum Technical Support