cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hate to be embarrassed at border

Tubaronnie
Explorer
Explorer
Heading back into Canada-1st time with motorhome. Entry/exit @Port Huron/Sarnia. What lanes do motorhomes use coming/going?

By the way-so excited I am able to get dual citizenship back under new Canadian law-born in Mich to Canadian parents-automatically lost Canadian citizenship at age 21, but always felt sad couldn't keep both-extended family all in Toronto, Haliburton, and Burlington. Now I can be both again! Bringing DW to meet family and introduce her to the great people of Ontario!
Tubaronnie
1995 Winnebago Adventurer 30WQ
24 REPLIES 24

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
We find crossing at a booth marked French/Francais is often quicker when we return to Canada, and don't be concerned if you don't speak French, as they speak English as well.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Glad to hear everything went well. :C
... Eric

Tubaronnie
Explorer
Explorer
So we made the trip. Port Huron AND Sarnia well marked which lanes allowed RVs. Clearance on sides not an issue at all. Coming back into US lanes coming across bridge were also marked Car\RV. Above US border booths were very clearly marked. All in all a pleasant and easy experience going and coming. Very short delays, so that was nice as well.
Tubaronnie

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
If Niagara Falls is your last Canadian stop, it would make more sense to cross in Buffalo than driving back to Sarnia/Windsor.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

vwsportbug
Explorer
Explorer
When we crossed into the US at Sarnia/Pt Huron last November, only one of the "car" lanes was also marked for RV's as well. At previous crossings we had made there, RV's were able to use any of the car lanes but at some point last year, there was new construction immediately after the checkpoint booths obstructing the exits so long vehicles/trailers would not be able to exit.

Watch the signs carefully as you leave the Bluewater Bridge and approach the inspection booths. Having to back up your rig in heavy traffic to get in the right lane is no fun (ask me how I know!!!)
VeeDub
2006 Carriage Cameo LXI F35FD3
2006 Ford F350 Dually

Community Alumni
Not applicable
down home wrote:
Are all the booths at other crossing so close? We've been through with a fifth wheel but have not taken the MH. We went through Huron last year, with just the car, and thought they were kinda small. It looked like they had all the MHs pull over to the right for inspection.

Most of the ones that we've used at NY & Vermont crossings are a standard width. With our motorhome I have about 6" clearance to my mirrors. When I was crossing with our 5th wheel towing with my Dodge Ram I had much more clearance for the mirrors which were flipped up on the Ram.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Are all the booths at other crossing so close? We've been through with a fifth wheel but have not taken the MH. We went through Huron last year, with just the car, and thought they were kinda small. It looked like they had all the MHs pull over to the right for inspection.

Tubaronnie
Explorer
Explorer
D&E Johnson wrote:
Welcome Home! Have a great trip. Not sure when you are coming, Collingwood has an international Elvis festival in July. Its great! There is also a Flying J near London off the 401. Its at Highbury road and has a pricey Denny's with it. Has rv fuel lanes too. Diesel recently are about an hour south of Collingwood, has been running around 1.20/liter. Reg. fuel is about 1.24/L.

Have a great trip! Dona

Thanks! Good to know Flying J is right in our path. I am looking forward to introducing DW to places that are part of our family story.
Tubaronnie

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, going from the bridge onto 75 is now a piece of cake.
Simply stay left after paying the toll, well marked,
ramp is right there.
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

D_E_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome Home! Have a great trip. Not sure when you are coming, Collingwood has an international Elvis festival in July. Its great! There is also a Flying J near London off the 401. Its at Highbury road and has a pricey Denny's with it. Has rv fuel lanes too. Diesel recently in our area, we are about an hour south of Collingwood, has been running around 1.20/liter. Reg. fuel is about 1.24/L.

Have a great trip! Dona
Dona and Elvin

2010 Dodge Laramie 3500 4x4 Mega cab-in Pearl black/tan
2007 Open Road 359RL3S
2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

Tubaronnie
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, good to know. It would save us some miles and gas!
Tubaronnie

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Tubaronnie wrote:
Yes, if DW was up to dealing with ride through Detroit traffic. I may convince her when we are ready to be home, but for now I bypass the metro area. 🙂
If you use the bridge it exits directly onto I75 South, missing the worst of Detroit's traffic.
Now if you choose the tunnel, then that is a whole different story!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

FC
Explorer
Explorer
Our MH is 8'6 wide with side mirrors and we can get through the Sarnia -Port Huron booths without touching the mirrors, but it is VERY CLOSE.
Less than 6 inches clear on each side.
Come on over and enjoy, just fill up with gas before you cross the border.
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

Tubaronnie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, if DW was up to dealing with ride through Detroit traffic. I may convince her when we are ready to be home, but for now I bypass the metro area. 🙂
Tubaronnie