cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hauling a boat through Canada & Alaska

bjohns
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks, This year we are doing the Alaska thing in our truck camper for the first time. One question we have is whether or not it would be useful/advisable/possible to haul our 20' open bow runabout on the trip to take advantage of lakes along the way.

Has anyone done this?

Would I expect to have to buy aquatic nuisance stickers and permits all along the way?

Any other restrictions I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Closed; duplicate post.

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest looking on Craig's list at the boats that are selling in AK. You might be able to buy a new boat in the lower 48, fish out of it while on your trip and then sell it before you leave and still make a few bucks! I am amazed at the prices of jon boats in AK, especially if they have a jet drive!
Just another data point for you!
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Not exactly on point to your question but FWIW, I have a newly purchased aluminum boat that is being built in Seattle. While it isn't really suitable for use along the way (23' with an inboard) I decided that the cost of shipping was easily worth avoiding the wear and tear on the boat/trailer that would occur in driving it up from Seattle.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
Other than the aquatic invasive issue and inspections along the way, I'd be concerned about the amount of loose gravel thrown up against the boat. There is a good bit of chip seal road and ripped up long dirt and gravel sections along the way.

If you do it I'd have at least 2 spares fore the trailer tires.

Aside from that it might be interesting and fun to do!