cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head to SD from PA

Rlaubert
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving PA soon (July) to head to Sioux Falls SD. Trip planner says Interstate 90, but it has warnings about low clearance around Chicago. Our rig is 12'8". Clearance warnings say 12-13? Have no idea what that means. So two questions:
1. What is 12-13 on a clearance sign?
2. Any low clearance areas in Chicago area that are lower than 12'8" on Interstate 90?
Ray & Daisy Laubert
9 REPLIES 9

Rlaubert
Explorer
Explorer
I have RV Trip Wizard and it is showing caution on I90 around Chicago with 12-13 as the sign numbers. Have no idea what this means. SO far no response from the folks at RV Trip Wizard. Any ideas?
Ray & Daisy Laubert

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Minimum on the Interstates is 14'-6" without signage; 14'-0" with caution signs; and Detours posted for anything less than 14'.

Maximum Over the Road freight trailer height (when attached to the tractor) without special permit is 13'-6"

see "FHWA.gov" for details
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Another reason to avoid I-90 thru Chicago: CONSTRUCTION.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I see that Hatfield is in southwest PA. With a destination of Sioux Falls, I would take I70 to Indianapolis then I74 to join I80 near the IL/IA border to I29 on the west side of IA and north to Sioux Falls.

About 40 miles longer than your route, but no toll roads and avoids Chicago traffic. We have used that route several times when heading further west.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

hermandutchman
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
I90 goes through Chicago (Ind Tollway to Skyway, etc). Unless you have reason to see downtown Chicago, you want to stay with I80/94 through NW Indiana. Then you either take the tollway beltway, or stay on I80 further west. You can then take I39 north to Rockford and catch I90 into Wisconsin. Or continue on I80 into Iowa, and cross to I90 at one of several places (I380, I35, I25, or even in NB).
this is the best way to go. if you stay on I90 you will have several toll roads. this way you will have 1 or 2 no low clearance anyplace. there is about 10 miles of road that has all the seams patched and is very rough so that you need to drive in the passing lane.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I90 goes through Chicago (Ind Tollway to Skyway, etc). Unless you have reason to see downtown Chicago, you want to stay with I80/94 through NW Indiana. Then you either take the tollway beltway, or stay on I80 further west. You can then take I39 north to Rockford and catch I90 into Wisconsin. Or continue on I80 into Iowa, and cross to I90 at one of several places (I380, I35, I25, or even in NB).

Rlaubert
Explorer
Explorer
Well I don't think I am going through Chicago, but taking Interstate 90 by Chicago. However, I have never been that way so could be wrong.
Ray & Daisy Laubert

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
clearance will be your least problem going by chicago. 🙂
bumpy

Yep. I won't take our RV through Chicago.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure that there is a minimal allowable height on the Interstate system. don't know what it is however. clearance will be your least problem going by chicago. 🙂
bumpy