cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heading to Jasper, AB in September

fgcook
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading north to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper, AB in mid September. I think we have places figured out for everything except Jasper. Any recommendation in and around the area?
11 REPLIES 11

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you doing the 5100 miles from Michigan in 3 weeks on motorcycles or in a RV? That's a LOT of moving around in a short period of time.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
A long time ago, when we were at Edith Cavell and stayed overnight in the trees so nobody could see us there, my brother took a couple of pots to a stream coming off the glacier. My wife and I were out walking around and I spotted him washing his hair and I said to myself, self, that's great idea. So I went to where he was and told him that I would do the same. He said ok and left me the pots. Well, I got my hair wet with some very cold water, shampooed and then began rinsing and rinsing and rinsing. I had an ice cream headache for a week and a half after that. I found out, many years later, that he had heated some water in the camper and used that to wash and rinse with a bit of cold water added. Just a warning to you who might want to do the same thing as I did. That water coming off the glacier is "COLD".
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

96Brigadier
Explorer
Explorer
If you aren't in a motorhome then be sure to take the drive up to Edith Cavell and Angel Glacier while you're in the Jasper area. The road can't handle anything larger than a pickup truck (nicely paved but has switchbacks), well worth it though. One of our favorite places to go when we're in the Jasper area.
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Megacab Laramie, 6.7L CTD
Truck weight 8,448 lbs with hitch, wife, two kids, full load of diesel
2010 Keystone Cougar 293SAB
Pin Weight 1,800 lb, Trailer Weight 10,700 lb
(Loaded for camping w/ full water tank)

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Weather should be fine, September is a beautiful month for traveling in the Mountains. We camp until the last weekend in September and have and some really beautiful weather. Jasper and BNff weather is a little different that what we get on the west side of the Rockies, where their weather can change from nice and warm to snow Ina day or two.
Generally you should not have any issues with the weather, however if it does change to the white stuff, just stay put a day or two and it will change back to the nice stuff again,,,,,, hopefully.
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
fgcook wrote:
We are heading up from Michigan, probably through the UP, through MN then into Canada from ND. We will be heading down to Glacier after Banff/Jasper/Lake Louise/ then Missoula, Jackson Hole, Colorado Springs - a little over 5,100 in a big 3 weeks. Looking forward to it. The last two times I made this trip (in the past 5 years) was with my buddies on motorcycles. My wife has not seen this part of Canada and is looking forward to it. Thanks for all the advise.

ahhhh...well, have a great trip....hope your wife enjoys it too. Try and check out Waterton on your way to Glacier. It really is worth the time and effort. Then you just slip across north of St Mary's and hey presto...Glacier.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
most people recommend Whistlers campground but I like Wapati better. There are some nice sites in the SE corner between the river and the creek.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

fgcook
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading up from Michigan, probably through the UP, through MN then into Canada from ND. We will be heading down to Glacier after Banff/Jasper/Lake Louise/ then Missoula, Jackson Hole, Colorado Springs - a little over 5,100 in a big 3 weeks. Looking forward to it. The last two times I made this trip (in the past 5 years) was with my buddies on motorcycles. My wife has not seen this part of Canada and is looking forward to it. Thanks for all the advise.

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
Whistler's just outside of town should have lots of room in September. It's a good base to do your exploring from.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I was there in late May and overnighted at the Icefield Center near Jasper. Just a parking lot but what a view!

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
What will the weather be like traveling in that area in mid September?
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
You say heading north? If you are coming up from Montana, I hope you stop in Glacier on the US side and then Waterton on the CDN side. You can enter Canada just north of St Mary's, do Waterton and then on to to Banff and Jasper.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/