cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highway 22 Albert to Mayerthrope

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Routing from Montana to Dawson Creek using Alberta Highway 22 looks interesting because it bypasses most of the larger cities which I would like to avoid with the trailer. What sort of road is this, four lanes or two and other information would be appreciated. Has anyone driven this up to Mayerthrope then 43 to Dawson Creek?

Thanks
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed
8 REPLIES 8

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should also consider hwy 40 up from Hinton to Grande Cache, grand prairie etc. IMO it's a more scenic drive... but worse pavement.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great information and especially the pictures, looks like a fine road. The wife and I are putting the final touches on our return to Alaska, we were there in 2013, made it all the way to Homer and Valdez, so so much beauty.
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
In general, Hwy 22 route is a great bypass to take (I covered the route in various trips between Trans Canada 1 and Mayerthorpe).

My experience, it was busy traffic thru Cochrane - and can be slow going thru Sundre with those construction areas, but other than that - you can make great time and avoid Calgary and Edmonton.

In 2013, the Drayton Valley area had construction, and east of there on Hwy 39 Jct (east-west) crews were working on a bypass road along with a new bridge crossing Saskatchewan River as there were delays and detours however I can assume it is all done by now.

My friend owns a farm and a welding shop east of Rocky Mountain House as I used Hwy. 22 a couple times going both directions in the area after visiting before going to the Canadian Rockies or heading home.

As noted, Hwy 22 is mostly two lane, light moderate traffic in general in most places but the semis will make time as they tend to drive fast at times.

Sep 2011 - Alberta Hwy 22 just south of Rocky Mtn. House :

Sep 2013 - Alberta Hwy 22 just north of Rocky Mtn. House :

Sep 2013 - Alberta Hwy 22 between Trans Canada Hwy 16 and Mayerthorpe :

Once you reach Mayerthorpe and Hwy 43 East, it is all four lane divided and majority smooth all the way to the west end of the route about 5 miles or so north of Grande Prairie.....then take the two lane road (100 st going 5 miles south) that links to Hwy 43 West in the heart of Grande Prairie as the Hwy 43 routes are actually two split routes that do not interlink together.

Sep 2013 - Alberta Hwy 43 East - westbound just west of Mayerthorpe :

Between Valleyview and Grande Prairie there were intermittent stretches of sunken pavement two groove road surfaces due to the heavy semis as they were resurfacing stretches in areas at a time, unsure if they got the project completed since 2013 however they needed to repair it, could hardly drive my camper rig on it without it veering around the lane.

The good news on Alberta Hwy 43 West crossing into BC Hwy 2 is they FINALLY got all that major construction done in the Toms Lake BC area (fresh pavement and expanded a few stretches to four lane) as they are still resurfacing the highway well into Pouce Coupe just south of Dawson Creek.

Aug 2016 - BC Hwy 2 just south of Pouce Coupe (major overhaul of a new converted four lane stretch) :
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
We have used 22 every time we have gone out to Alberta. We get on just west of Pincher Creek and get off at Hwy 11, just south of Rocky Mountain House. We were on it last summer. Two lanes, it's in great shape and you drive through the foothills. I haven't had to deal with the high winds that can blow through. There are automatic signs that tell you about high winds. I can honestly say that I haven't had a lot of trouble with slow moving traffic. I was always able to get around them without a problem. One time we took hwy 40 from Longview and there was a cattle drive going down the highway. Not something we would see here in the flatlands. Once the men realized we were behind them, they herded the cattle off the road and away we went. Another first for us. Hwy 40 is another good hwy and you're driving through the mountains. Have fun. PS; I forgot to mention that the 5er is 35 feet long.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
22 is a good two lane as mentioned. Sometimes it can be busy and a little slower going if there is a slow moving vehicle. There are passing lanes at times. Highway 43 has some two lane as well as 4 lane. Usually a good highway as well. Also as mentioned southern Alberta can be really windy at times. If I had the time I would be gong through the mountains instead. Much more scenic.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We used the southern end of Hwy 22 when we returned from Alaska in 2013 and it was a fine road. We had come down from Grand Prairie on 40 and continued to south of Hinton where it becomes the Trunk Road. This was an absolutely beautiful experience but sort of hairy. I don't think I could replicate the routes that we took as we went in and out on forest roads. We had a book with Canadian backroad map but relied heavily on the locals. All this was while pulling a 22' TT. We had lots of fabulous campsites and a stunning view of the "back side" of the Canadian Rockies. lizzie

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
It's a great way to go. The only issue you might have is on the very south end if the wind is blowing hard. The road is very exposed. If that's the case, just head up highway 2 to Claresholm or High River and then head west to hook up with it.

It is two lane almost the entire way but it is in good condition and has wide shoulders. It can be a little slow during heavy traffic times.

You might want to look at a slight detour onto highway 40 at Longview. It heads through Kananaskis country which is beautiful.

You can go into Google Earth Streetview to take a look at the roads.

Where are you crossing the border?

EK_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our 26' travel trailer on Highway 22 to Mayerthorpe in 2013. It is a good two lane highway. We use the southern end of Highway 22 fairly often while towing.