cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highway 4: Watson Lake to Carmacks

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been to Alaska 4 times now & thinking about doing trip #5.

We have driven most every road possible to drive. Not many are left. Hwy 4 is one of them. Considered doing it in 2011 but was advised not to due to late snowmelt that year.

Anyone done it with a large towable or a class A? It looks to be no problem with a class B or a Truck camper. I don't suppose there is much traffic on it. How is the road surface? We have done the TOW four times & always impressed with the way the Canadians keep their part maintained. Is 4 any different?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
3 REPLIES 3

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course the next question is when is the better time to do it?

Every trip before we have done the Whitehorse, Dawson City, TOW in an anticlockwise fashion. Each time has been early June.

This time the thought is to do it clockwise on the return which would be mid to later August.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
We did that route in summer of 2018 in our TC no problem doing this gravel road with any size vehicle. Plenty of boondocking places along the way.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doug, I didnโ€™t go as far as Carmacks, only to Little Salmon Lake (haha) a few years ago now.

It was a mixed bag of narrowโ€™ish gravel 1.5 lane wide to 2 lane hard surfaced road. Traffic tended to be in โ€˜bunchesโ€™ of 3 to 6 pickups or 2 semiโ€™s at a time.

I did it with a 20โ€™ tag trailer carrying a dismantled airplane behind a 34โ€™ class A. I wonโ€™t say it was exactly a relaxing drive, but not a white-knuckle expedition either.

I was told by locals that time of year and recent weather was key, so thatโ€™s what I used to time the trip.