Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Highway 9 tunnel east of Zion

sancoots
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We will be doing a trip to Utah next June and have read there are restrictions for the tunnel east of Zion on highway 9 . Will I have any issues with a F 250 crew cab pulling a 30 foot travel trailer? I believe our overall length is just over 50 feet. Anyone have any experience with this? The next stop after Zion will be Bryce.

Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's been a few years, but a ranger's SUV drove ahead of us when we drove our fifth wheel thru there back in 2008. I assumed it was a pilot because he u-turned at the other end of the tunnel.

Either way, there's nobody there to stop traffic. Oversized vehicles have no choice but to head south via UT-59/AZ-389.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
lane hog wrote:
The road thru Zion is still open, but not to oversize vehicles during the government shutdown. The pilot cars aren't operating.

The only time I saw pilot cars were during the 2010 road construction, other wise they just stop the 2 way traffic and do one way traffic for large vehicles,no pilot cars involoved, been through this tunnel many times. refer to my preverous post and the video through Zion tunnel, there was a very large motor home behind us and you don't see any pilot car ahead of us.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
What pilot cars?
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
The road thru Zion is still open, but not to oversize vehicles during the government shutdown. The pilot cars aren't operating.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
sancoots wrote:
Thank you again. I did not realize the tunnel was curved and that there were switchbacks leading to the tunnel. I think we will drive around through Cedar City to get to Bryce with the trailer and just take a couple of hours while in Zion to drive this section with the truck only.

Thanks again for all your posts.

In 2010 much of Hwy9 in zion was re-paved and the switchbacks were widen, click on the photo below and watch a large fifth wheel come down the switchback.

The next video was our first time going through the Zion Tunnel, just click on the photo.

If you are under the max restictions for RV's go through the tunnel,the fee you pay is a small thing when compared to the amount of extra fuel you'll have to buy to go around to get to Bryce NP
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't mean to scare you off. All types of Rvs go through the tunnel daily. The switchbacks are not that big a deal, the curves in the tunnel are slight. Drive it in your truck and I'm pretty sure you'll leave via the tunnel.

Truthfully, the most disturbing part of the tunnel drive for me is the first couple of seconds adjusting to the change in light. Have your headlights on and wear sunglasses. Take them off as you enter the tunnel. This helps me adjust to the dark tunnel. On my first time through I followed a big tour bus. I just did what he did and it was a smooth introduction to the Zion tunnel. Give it a try

Marvin
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

sancoots
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you again. I did not realize the tunnel was curved and that there were switchbacks leading to the tunnel. I think we will drive around through Cedar City to get to Bryce with the trailer and just take a couple of hours while in Zion to drive this section with the truck only.

Thanks again for all your posts.

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
Marv Hoag wrote:
naturist wrote:
The answer to the OP's question is "maybe, maybe not." The tunnel restriction is not due to length, it is due to height.

Not exactly accurate. Length is also a factor. I have to disconnect my toad from my 40' motorhome because of max length restrictions.

Those length restrictions are in place because of the road leading to or away from the tunnel, depending on direction - see my above post. Those switchbacks between the tunnel and Zion Canyon floor can be difficult to navigate if you are too long. Once you are in place to enter the tunnel you could be 100 feet long and make it fine, especially since you have one-way traffic through the tunnel due to the height of the RV requiring travel down the center of the road.

Once again not accurate.
Heading east the ranger will stop you at the tunnel entrance. There are lines on the pavement. If you are longer than the lines, you have to disconnect, or turn around.

Think about it. Once in the park from the west, nothing to stop you from heading to the tunnel going east, no matter your length. When you get to the tunnel, your length will be checked on. I've been thru three times heading east. All three times I was told to disconnect due to length. In the case of a toad this is dumb because if the motorhome goes through the much lower toad is a no brainer, go figure. May not be the case for tow vehicles with long high trailers. The tunnel is not straight, there are a couple of curves to negotiate.
Not trying to start anything, just trying to give accurate information.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
The length restriction is because the tunnel is curved.

If it had anything to due with roads, the road would have a restriction.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Marv Hoag wrote:
naturist wrote:
The answer to the OP's question is "maybe, maybe not." The tunnel restriction is not due to length, it is due to height.

Not exactly accurate. Length is also a factor. I have to disconnect my toad from my 40' motorhome because of max length restrictions.

Those length restrictions are in place because of the road leading to or away from the tunnel, depending on direction - see my above post. Those switchbacks between the tunnel and Zion Canyon floor can be difficult to navigate if you are too long. Once you are in place to enter the tunnel you could be 100 feet long and make it fine, especially since you have one-way traffic through the tunnel due to the height of the RV requiring travel down the center of the road.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:

2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem with length is going up the switchbacks from Zion - see picture. As long as you take your time and don't try to go around a corner at the same time you are meeting another big rig, you will have no problem.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

sancoots
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your quick replies. I am under the height requirement so was just wondering about the length. I have never measured the lengthy total, but know that the trailer is just under 30 feet and I think the truck is around 20 feet. Give a few inches for the hitch and I may be a little over. Just wanted to know if they measured the length or do they let most trailers go through as I may only be a foot or so over if that. This is why I was asking for your experiences. Thanks again.

ClaireOKC
Explorer
Explorer
We went through last fall (year ago) with Ford F 250 crew cab with travel trailer 27 feet, and had no prob. They will hold up the other side and you go through the middle of the tunnel because it's higher there. If you are lower, then they don't have to stop oncoming traffic and you can go through two way. But most likely sounds like you will go through one way (they stop the other side). They are used to this and have it down to a fine science.

I high recommend it and get ready when you exit because the views will be beyond spectacular. This alone is worth the effort of making this trip.
We'd rather be out traveling, but I still work so we're part-timers.
This is our Facebook page and
CWUAP Blog is where I blog about our trips