cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highway thru Zion Nation Park

brebar
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am going to be travelling thru Zion NP in May. I am pulling a 28 ft TT. I have heard that on highway 9, I will need a "ranger guide" thru the tunnels. Is this true?

I also heard but can't confirm that highway 9 is closed due to a rock fall. Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
kohai wrote:
A truck driver a couple years ago followed his GPS in the East entrance after the booth was unmanned for the day. He wedged his trailer in a tunnel. The park was less than pleased.

... and it's not a thru-road for semi trucks. He shouldn't have even been there.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
A truck driver a couple years ago followed his GPS in the East entrance after the booth was unmanned for the day. He wedged his trailer in a tunnel. The park was less than pleased.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I did it last may with a 30' 5er It is a wonderful experience they just close it to one way. No problem just stay in the middle. It is a great confidence builder and very doable. The switch backs are easy and very scenic. Go for it!!!!
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
Yep extra fee to go through tunnel.
Your gonna love Zion.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know which roads you're driving to get to the area but if you don't want to drive Hwy 9 coming from the east via the tunnels, a very easy, scenic way is to head a little further south on Hwy 89 and go to Fredonia, Arizona and pick up 389 west which becomes 59 in Utah. Take it to Hurricane, UT then east into Zion. No hills or tunnels to worry about.

If you're on 89 another way is to take Hwy 20 just north of Panguitch, UT over to I-15 then south to Hwy 9 just north of St. George, UT and head east to the park.

From Hwy 89 in Utah just north of Hwy 9, don't take Hwy 14 to I-15. You won't like it! Steep!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Once the shuttles start, you must use them from the visitors center up the canyon in the main park.
You must see the interesting formations going to the east.
I would not through the towel in yet! hook up your rig and measure it.
The overall height of the rig is the issuse in the tunnels. You must drive down the center of the roadway. It is a little disconcerning to stradle the yellow stripe.
I thing should advise is the length is not about the tunnel but more about the switch backs coming in or going out. East bound is easier as you are in most of the real sharp switch backs you are on the outside.
When I tow the big Suzuki I am right under fifty. I am different then pulling a conventional trailer. On the switch backs westbound many hitches drag as there is lots of marks.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

brebar
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Large vehicles must have permit. Vehicles longer then 50 feet are not allowed.
Zion Tunnel info

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm wondering now whether or not to just leave the trailer parked at camp and drive the park in the truck. If I remember correctly the truck and trailer are about 47 feet long. That length may be pushing the limits. I can see on the map and Google maps that there is a series of switch backs at a certain point. I don't mind a little excitement but not if it's dangerous.

BTW the DW and I did the Beartooth Pass in this rig and it was on the verge of being too exciting as we were very close to the length limit.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
When we have been they collected the fee at the entrance station and it was good for the entire time we were there or at least we were never charged again days later when we left. We stay in the park at the Watchman CG and always left the trailer behind when going out and about except when we left. In the busy months and hours they pretty much make the tunnel a one way road and the last vehicle through carries a baton to the other end and hands it off to a ranger on the far side who starts the process over again. At least that is how it has been for us every time we have been though it has been 4 years.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
East of tunnel this is what you can see - you should take this road even if you go around in your RV

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
It's a very smooth process. Have money with you and follow the leader. Nothing to it.

We've been to about 35 National Parks in the last 3 years. Zion is definitely top 3 and on any given day, the top spot! Enjoy!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure to pay close attention to the hours they will allow over sized vehicles to go through on that link above. It isn't open 24 hours a day.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Every national park has an awesome web site with lots of good information including roads, special alerts, things to do and campgrounds.

Enblethen above gave the link which describes the tunnel information. That's the same link for things to do, etc.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

khager76248
Explorer
Explorer
Zion is such a great park. One of my favorite hikes is the narrows, but you would need to rent special shoes in town. My husband did Angels Landing, and he really liked it also. If you are in the area Bryce is another really neat park. Have fun.
:)2008 Georgetown 315DS SE:)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Large vehicles must have permit. Vehicles longer then 50 feet are not allowed.
Zion Tunnel info

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker