cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Horizontal Propane Tanks in Canada

CaFordGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older Truck Camper that uses horizontal removeable Propane cylinders. When the US mandated Overflow Protection Devices (OPD) on propane cylinders they made a specific exception for horizontal cylinders (both fixed and removable) as it is impossible to retrofit existing ones (at least without losing half capacity).

My question then for ours friends in the North: Did Canada make the same exception? That is, can I get non-OPD horizontal removeable cylinders filled in Canada?

I searched lots of Canadian Government web sites and did not find any info one way or the other. Did learn a lot of other stuff I didn't want to know ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
I have never thought about this issue. I would suggest you contact Canvest Propane, link below, and pursue the issue with them. They are a large and reputable propane supplier in western Canada. You might also explore retrofitting the tanks with OPD valves.

http://www.canwestpropane.com/
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
We have seen people who know the law's exception for horizontal tanks and still refuse to fill the old style. So, we bought one expensive new OPD tank to make sure we'd always be able to fill one of our 2 tanks.
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can. Unless you have a completely inexperienced filler, it will be recognized as a horizontal tank and filled on a scale until the bleeder bleeds liquid just as if it were vertical, or to it's measured weight as most tanks are filled.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel