cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOV Lanes in Atlanta GA

pee-paw
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know for sure if a motorhome with 2 occupants towing a car can use the HOV lanes in Atlanta? I talked with GTOD and they seemed to never heard of a motorhome towing before.
2009 Bounder 35H
2011 CRV Toad
25 REPLIES 25

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I have used HOA in Atlanta with my toad.

This is a BAD habit to get into.

First, if you are there at a time when the HOV lane would provide you any advantage.....you are there at the WRONG time.

And as mentioned, depending on what kind of rig you have, it might actually be prohibited.

And lastly, since it is only ONE lane, should you break down while in that lane, what the LEO might do to you may be the LEAST of your worries. :E
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
North bound I - 85 lanes are no longer HOV lanes and are now camera controlled toll roads..
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I do it all the time. First with MH ad toad or car trailer and now with fiver. Keep up with traffic and you will be fine.

From the Atlanta rules, you ARE violating the Law. Doug

I saw a guy run a red light yesterday. He didn't get pulled over. So, based on that, I guess it's ok to run red lights now.....:S...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that some places (don't know about Atlanta) have cameras and will snap your plate and send you a bill or fine. Happened to me in TN, and we have the cameras here in Florida....

Al

ferndaleflyer wrote:
Don't know about Atlanta but I have used the ones South of DC several times towing. I think those have now been changed so if you have an EZ pass you are good.

Don't be too set on this....

I had a drunk driver ( I think ) squeeze me into those lanes, actually the entrance was my escape lane..

I was pulled over a few miles down and received a $250.00 fine for unlawfully using HOV lanes..

He offered for me to fight it, it would be a full day in a Manasas VA court with no guarantee..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bird Freak wrote:
I do it all the time. First with MH ad toad or car trailer and now with fiver. Keep up with traffic and you will be fine.

From the Atlanta rules, you ARE violating the Law. Doug

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Atlanta HOV rules. Notice that NO Trailers or towed vehicles are listed. So, if you tow, you could be fined. I doubt they would pull you over if keeping with flow of traffic. BUT, if you have a problem and impeded the HOV, they will probably issue a ticket. Doug
JUST FOUND THIS IN ATLANTA HOV and EXPRESS rule.

Vehicles with 2+ axles and/or 6+ wheels will not be allowed in the Express Lanes, as is the case in the HOV lanes.

as is the case in the HOV lanes.

The following vehicles may use HOV Lanes:

Vehicles with two or more (living and not pre-infant) persons.
Emergency Vehicles (Law Enforcement, Fire, Emergency Medical)
Motorcycles
Buses
Alternative Fuel vehicles properly licensed with an AF license plate.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used HOA in Atlanta with my toad. Never got stopped but I'm not sure that any LEO saw me. I've done it about 6 times. Not sure that a LEO would want to stop me and cause a traffic back up. I did keep up with the traffic flow. Just saying.....

Don't know about Atlanta but I have used the ones South of DC several times towing. I think those have now been changed so if you have an EZ pass you are good.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
General rules of most states HOV lanes. Trailers would also mean a Car behind a motorhome. AND most Motorhomes with a Tow car will weigh a lot more than 5 tons. Doug

Prohibited vehicles include, but are not limited to:

Trucks with more than two axles
Trucks having a gross weight capacity of five tons or more
Vehicles towing trailers