cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how much cash?

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to leave Central Indiana in mid-May and go basically the northern route (weather permitting) and cross into Canada in Montana. Then through Banff, Jasper, etc to Fairbanks and down through AK back into us in Washington and central route back home. What do you all usually carry in the way of cash for a big trip like this?

I had planned to use mostly Discover wherever I can and only use cash when I have to and nothing else works. Does Discover work the same as in Canada, except for the exchange rate? Just some idea of what to carry would be nice. How about traveler's checks?

Thanks, in advance for all your help! Happy Trails!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!
37 REPLIES 37

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Red-Rover wrote:

I also was surprised that U.S. currency was accepted, straight up, no conversion, at all businesses. I even paid a parking violation fee to a meter maid in U.S.Dollars.

That's pretty much always been the case along the Alaska Highway for as long as I can remember. The reason the Canadians accepted US currency straight up was because of the exchange rates being in their favor. Try getting that deal when the exchange rates are in the US's favor. Those merchants along the highway know the difference, believe me!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We carry enough cash for a tank of gas and to eat with. Normally charge gas to VISA for the cash back. This is not only in Canada, but here in the states as well.
When we stop for groceries, we get replacement cash. This way we save foreign transaction fees.
I do not remember seeing any Discovery card logos.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

I carry a debit card and if I need cash I use it at an ATM to withdraw from my account. I use a visa card for most other purchases with mastercard as a back up. I've been in Florida since November 18 (it is now Feb 10) and I've spent under $100 in cash.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Not every establishment honors Discover so I would take an additional Visa card. Also, we just had a card cancelled due to theft and if that happened to your only card it would be trouble.
We get cash at Walmart when we get groceries. Is there a Canadian Walmart equivalent?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
As king27 mentioned, Discovery is not widely accepted in Canada. Make sure to have a Visa or Master Card for fuel, etc.

Northbound I will stop at the first Canadian bank and use their ATM machine to take out $400cdn, which normally will last us till we get to Alaska. Then we do the same on the south bound leg of the trip. On the way back south I will try to use up any of the remains Canadian currency for fuel etc.

Canadian banks and merchants are much better at working with US currency than once back in the US and trying to use Canadian dollars. I think I have about $40 cdn remaining from the last trip and will take that back north the next time
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

King27
Explorer
Explorer
Our last trip was in 2012 so we are a little dated at this time. At that time, almost no one took Discover.

In the early 2000's we used Discover at most locations.
Best Regards, Ted

Red-Rover
Explorer
Explorer
We did a three week trip through Canada last autumn and used a Visa card for most transactions, for the best currency conversion rate, and a debit card for cash withdrawal at ATM machines. I got an unpleasant surprise when I found that my local bank that issued my debit card had blocked all foreign transactions without my knowledge. It took a phone call to my bank to "unblock" foreign transactions for a couple of weeks.
I also was surprised that U.S. currency was accepted, straight up, no conversion, at all businesses. I even paid a parking violation fee to a meter maid in U.S.Dollars.
When I got home I found that a "Red Light" camera in Quebec City had caught me in a traffic violation and accessed a fine of $140 Canadian dollars. I paid this with a Visa card as well.
Every ATM machine I encountered was equiped with the newer technology that reads "chipped" cards. Each machine would state "no microchip detected, would you like to continue this transaction?"
P.S. Canada did away with Pennies a year ago. Another surprise for me.
2014 Cougar 313RLI
2017 F250, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab, Short Bed

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We carried enough Canadian cash for 1/2 tank of fuel plus some pocket change. Used Visa for virtually all purchases which had no transaction fees and ours had 5% cash back on fuel.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob