cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 3 (B.C.) Hope to Penticton

mrhddh
Explorer
Explorer
Our travels this year will take us into B.C. One route that we are considering would be Hwy 3 east from Hope to Penticton. The last time I drove that road was in the early 80's. I remember it as having a lot of curves. Is this a route that I would want to take my 5vr over? The total length of my truck and trailer is 45 ft.
2006 Cougar 290EFS
2006 Dodge CTD 4X2 2500 QuadCab
SWMBO
Pippa & Dirk-the-Dog
I used to be amazed....now I'm just amused.
8 REPLIES 8

Greentreena
Explorer
Explorer
just take your time and enjoy the drive. Lot of hair pin corners and a few long climbs.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids (Murphy the dog - RIP friend)

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing serious. Road is the same as most other roads in BC.
Done that many times with 5th wheel and with a motorhome.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Watch some of the curves, they can be tighter than you're used to and believe me, you will want to stay on the road. There's a long downhill into Princeton, the road is newer there, and wide, but take it easy and you'll be okay.

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
Living in Princeton I have driven the highway many times.Not much happening once you pass the slide area thru the park. After that it gets a little more curvy and hilly. There will probably still be some construction near the Princeton end. Princeton to Penticton to is a piece of cake.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Yup no worries.... With my rig I'm over 52ft. Also there are many many semi trucks tha drive that road every day ( mostly night) a great road no issues.
There is a long hill ( down hill) on the Princeton end coming down towards the mine.
Use lowest gear put on your 4 way flashers on and use your breaks to keep your speed in check, and you will have no issues.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I do it every June with the rig in my signature and used to do it with my 2001 CTD auto with no exhaust brake and a 10K fiver before that.

Until the Coquihalla was built in the late eighties it was the only route to the southern interior. It has some pretty good grades and twisty bits but vehicle length is not a factor. 18 wheelers use it all the time.

No worse than HWY 20 from Sedro Wooley to Twisp IMO. Done that several times as well.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

EK_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
You should have no problems with your length. I travel that route with an overall length of 47 ft. Last fall they were straightening some of the road so you will likely come upon some construction.

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
No problem. Do it.