cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hwy52 Van Horn TX, to 62/180 to Carlsbad, NM

doriko
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to take 285 from Ft. Stockton to Carlsbad, NM. Now going out to Van Horn, TX and taking 54, to 62/180 up to Carlsbad. Then on 285 up to I 40. Driving a 38 ft. motorhome, towing a Honda. Any suggestions, especially as to places I can easily get in to buy diesel.
3 REPLIES 3

Rug
Explorer II
Explorer II
Van Horn has a couple of truck stops. Both seem easy to get in and out. 54 is an easy drive.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
I will second the access to Murphy in Carlsbad, it is tight but doable. There are other options in town at but at slightly higher prices. I suggest that you use the web to get an aerial view so that you know what it looks like. Most important is that the entry to Murphy is NOT from the Walmart parking lot but from the adjacent street. There is a station in the lot but they do not sell diesel.

My second comment is that by taking hwy 54 to 62/180 you will need to make the climb by Guadalupe Mtn NP. It's a good road but there is a long steep climb followed by several hilly miles with a 55 speed limit that is enforced. It is pretty country with a close up view of the highest point in TX. Be aware though - there is a fire burning in the mountains and there can be smoke along the road if the wind is blowing that way. I went through there on Friday and it was OK. Going back again tomorrow so we will see what it is like.

Just my thoughts / comments. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. I commute regularly between El Paso and the Hobbs area so I have some familiarity that area.

Terry

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
the walmart supercenter at Carlsbad has a murphy's fuel station with gas or diesel. not the easiest place to get in and out of, but just like all the rest of them. (murphys) diesel is showing at 2.20 gal today.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.