cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hyway 17. Through Ontario.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I kinda think if the dems (globalists) are successful in turfing Trump the pandemic will be over and the border will open to snowbirds. However we are considering a cross Canada fall trip to satisfy our dreams of hitting the road.
What kind of a route is the highway #17 through Ontario?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
5 REPLIES 5

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
The section from Wawa to White River was bad in July when we went west but better when we returned a couple of weeks ago. The RV has a bunch of road tar on it, it will take a pint of WD-40 to take it off from the July part! If you are going later the "construction season" may be quieter!

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Came through Hwy 17 last Saturday and Sunday from Thunder Bay going south with no problems to speak of. Blasting is not an issue and traffic was excellent except for maybe 3 bridge construction lane closures of maybe 5 minutes each. Found no stretches of gravel whatsoever. No reason to avoid.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks. If we do this it will likely be in October. Perhaps the construction will be complete. We would like to cross on the ferry at South Bay Mouth. Couldnโ€™t do that if we went the northern route.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
This is posted on another RV site.......FYI.......

Avoid HWY 17 WAWA to White River

For those peoples travelling through Northern Ontario, be for warned. The section of highway 17 (THC) is being blasted, repaved and culverts replaced; between Wawa (on the east) and White river (on the West). I drove my coach though an area that is gravel only (10 km) and it completely covered my coach with mud and dirt. Not to meantion the amount of stones bouncing off the coach. I slowed down as much as possible, but still made and incredible mess. Bst bet is to take highway 11 and go the Northern route.
If you don't mind travelling on gravel road then the 1 1/2 to 2 hour delay for the construction may change your mind.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 17 is the TCH and is highly developed and well maintained option to the 400 series roads.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision