cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I-15 to HWY 9 - Zion to South Rim

retireclose
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to visit our in Oakland Ca. this September. We have the trip out planned okay. The return trip we want to see Yosemite, Valley of Fire and Zion(Watchman), Grand Canyon(South Rim) and we have reservations at the Albuqerque Balloon fest.

We would like information in reguards to HWY 9 from I15 to Zion(Watchman) and then continuing to South Rim using HWY 89. The roads looks very curvey. Are these roads in good shape? What problems might we encounter if any? We have a 22' Mini-lite camper.

Information much appreciated.

Gary and Jill
2016 22' Rockwood 2104s Mini-Lite
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500
7 REPLIES 7

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
North Rim for a few hours? Takes you much longer to get there and back - it is long ways out. If you have been at the S R it is a waste of time.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

retireclose
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks will consider

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
you will be very close to the north rim. it would be a shame to miss this if only for a few hours.

retireclose
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyones help.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
We had no problems with either the pup we had or our current 20' when closed TM On those Hwys. Came into zion from Grand Canyon on 89 and alt 89. Spent the shortest amount of time on I-15 as we could...dislike interstates.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I went from South Rim to Bryce back down to Zion with a 35' FW and had no problems at all. They never gave my rig a first look about going through the tunnel. The worst part of the road was west of the Zion tunnel to the entrance. It was very curvy in a few spots for about 2 miles, but just required hugging the yellow line to keep the trailer on the road as it isn't extremely narrow, just narrow. A 22' trailer wouldn't be a problem at all.

If you are in the area and can spare two nights, suggest adding Bryce to your trip since you are so close. You could do it in a very long day run up from Zion if you would like, but then you would miss out on a sunrise or sunset which is very nice.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
With your 22' camper you'll have no problem with Hwy 9.

When taking Hwy 89 south out of Page, AZ you'll come to Hwy 64 at Cameron. Take it west into Grand Canyon. There's the Cameron Trading Post at that area and they have wonderful Navajo Tacos!!! Plus, they have a gorgeous gift shop - not your common trinkets - very good quality things. No need to go all the way into Flagstaff and then back north.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel