cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I 70 in Ohio to Somerset PA staying off PA turnpike

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Best way to Somerset from Ohio on I 70. Not wanting to use the toll road as not wanting to purchase EZpass for just one trip. Is the the turnpike as bad as it was decades ago? What is the pic of your license plate method? Assume they would have license plate number from you camper??? Thanks
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
9 REPLIES 9

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
navybanker wrote:
Thanks for the good info. Now, to clarify do you have to sign up before hand to just drive thru turnpike and they read the trailer plate (TN) and mail the bill to my home as I travel to Harrisburg from Ohio?

Nope. For toll by mail, you just drive down the road, and then in due time they will send you a bill in the mail that you pay. That's all there is to it.

Signing up and making an account merely makes it easier if you won't get mail for some time, or if your registration address information is outdated, or if you're driving a vehicle registered to someone else (e.g. a rental), etc. Obtaining an EZ-Pass transponder does the same, and also saves some money. Neither is required to use the road.

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good info. Now, to clarify do you have to sign up before hand to just drive thru turnpike and they read the trailer plate (TN) and mail the bill to my home as I travel to Harrisburg from Ohio? Still looking at routes on based on info received.
2017 Montana 3611 RL

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Take I 70 until you get to the turnpike. Go over the turnpike on Rt 119. Take that to 22 east. Not sure how far you're going but that will get you to Harrisburg. Then you can pick up 81-N to I-78 and that will get you to Reading and Allentown.

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
I-70 from Ohio, I would take the I-470 bypass around Wheeling WV, then back on I-70 thru Washington, Pa and on to Rt 31 East.
Rt 31 follows the turnpike and runs right into Summerset, Pa.
Rt 31 is used as a detour if there is a problem / wreck on the turnpike.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
navybanker wrote:
So, can I just drive it and they will take a pic of camper license plate and mail a bill to me in Tennessee? Based on research, this may be easier than any bypass routes. I am leaving Somerset and then on to Lancaster. Thanks,

Yes that is how it works. I just crossed the toll bridge in Louisville yesterday. I expect to get my bill in the mail. I have done that several times, so I know I will get it. I usually go around, but I was staying on the east side of I-65 and didn't want to go all the way around on the west side.

When you get your bill, you can actually go to their website and set up an account, then pay online using a credit card. I was glad to have that option because the first few times I got a bill, we were on the road and not going to be getting mail for awhile.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
So, can I just drive it and they will take a pic of camper license plate and mail a bill to me in Tennessee? Based on research, this may be easier than any bypass routes. I am leaving Somerset and then on to Lancaster. Thanks,
2017 Montana 3611 RL

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best way is the turnpike. I have a PA turnpike EZ pass and haven't been up there in years. It works everywhere.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Last month we traveled the PA Turnpike from Harrisburg to Philadelphia and back. I don't have EZ pass. It was nice not stopping for a ticket or waiting in line to pay the toll. A few weeks later I got the bill in the mail.
It was about $30 dollars for the round trip. It I had EZ Pass it would haven been about $15.00.
It's not cheap but it is convenient.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
The PA Turnpike is in good condition, but yes,it's pricey. The EZ pass actually will save you some money, I'd get it if I was you.