cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-80 Chain Control over the Sierra's

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
I-80 is closed to single axle vehicles pulling double trailers from Applegate to Nevada State Line.

Eastbound: Chains are required on all vehicles except 4-wheel-drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels.

Westbound: Chains are required on all vehicles except 4-wheel-drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel
5 REPLIES 5

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Us out West wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Us out West wrote:
I-80 is closed to single axle vehicles pulling double trailers from Applegate to Nevada State Line.

I assume "single axle vehicle" must mean something other than it's obvious definition, since I don't believe unicycles and Segways pulling double trailers are permitted on the Interstate highway at any time.

More out of curiosity than anything, do they mean single drive axle (two axle vehicles), or vehicles with single as opposed to dual wheels, or...?

Here ya go.

Thanks.

From that link, it would seem that a single axle is just what it sounds and what it usually means.

A "single axle vehicle pulling double trailers" still doesn't make a lot of sense. Every remotely reasonable tow vehicle I can think of has at least two axles: one steer axle in the front, and one (or more) axles in the back. Even motorcycles and bicycles fit this description. (Single axle trailers are quite common, of course, but are not generally used to pull double trailers--that would just be a triple trailer setup.)

If I had to guess, I'd have to conclude that they're ignoring the steer axle. (A single axle vehicle is thus apparently any vehicle with two axles!) I guess typical semi tractors, with three axles total, would still be allowed to tow double trailers...but as phrased here the prohibition seems to me to border on nonsense.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Us out West wrote:

I assume "single axle vehicle" must mean something other than it's obvious definition, since I don't believe unicycles and Segways pulling double trailers are permitted on the Interstate highway at any time.

More out of curiosity than anything, do they mean single drive axle (two axle vehicles), or vehicles with single as opposed to dual wheels, or...?

Here ya go.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Us out West wrote:

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Have dealt with the above countless times in the Cascades up here over the years - and not talking about towing. If you don't have to be someplace, stay away from the Sierras right now. West Coast mountain passes can be a piece of work in winter.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
The forecasters finally got it right, or at least pretty close. Guessing we have picked up around 20" so far and yesterday about 1" of rain. We are on Highway 70 north of I-80/Truckee about 50 miles...
Yes, be careful out there.
Also would like to add that anyone driving through the Feather River Canyon WATCH OUT for slides. That would be Highway 70...
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY