cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-95 Death Row takes 3 more.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
The stretch of I-95 between Jacksonville and Daytona is ranked as the 4th deadline road in the nation.
This Weekend
26 REPLIES 26

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Yet another reason to avoid Florida?

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
There is no such thing as an accident.

Stupid assertion/comment.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
There is no such thing as an accident. It is tragic that some people lose all consideration for others on the road when they get behind the wheel.

SOOOOO wrong. While inattention and arrogance does play a big role in accidents there are so many factors you cannot account for such as a deer running out in front of you, someone 4 or 5 vehicles up slamming brakes setting off a chain reaction or black ice which sometimes isn't even visible. To believe you are in total control while you are behind the wheel is naive and dangerous.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RobWNY wrote:
I-95 is terrible. We are 40 minutes South of Daytona and the way people drive is shocking. I try to avoid it as much as possible but sometimes I drive on it. The speed limit is 70MPH and three lanes each direction. The people in the right lane drive 60MPH-75MPH The middle lane is mostly 70MPH-80MPH the left lane is 80MPH-110MPH (No exaggeration!) and then sprinkle in what I call "The Weavers". The people that go lane to lane driving 100+ in their high output sports cars. I've been down here since November 25th. I haven't seen one Highway Patrolman on I-95. Not one! The local Police cars I see on the State and County roads are unmanned cars used as decoys to keep speed reasonable. Where are the actual Police men and women? There were 4 fatalities a mile South of us the day after we arrived. It doesn't surprise me at all that people are dying at an alarming rate on that highway. Then add in the shootings and homicides in Daytona and Orlando and that's all that's on the news. What used to be a very nice area is turning into something undesirable.

Whale statically interstates as safer due to miles driven, the crashes that happen on them are much more deadly due to speed.
Mythbusters did a segment on what happens in a 50 mph head on crash, is it the same as hitting a wall at 50 mph or hitting the wall at 100 mph. Will test included running a car into a solid wall at 100 mph! That car was Tacoed! totally folded in half, we see people driving on the interstates like they are NASCAR drivers at Daytona!! Ridding bumpers at 70+, driving 70+ in fog and snow.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
An RV lost control and a pickup rear ended a car, why is that the roads fault?

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
There is no such thing as an accident. It is tragic that some people lose all consideration for others on the road when they get behind the wheel.

Really? How so? Surely you don't mean these things happen purposely? I can understand that everything happens due to a cause and the result is the effect.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I-95 is terrible. We are 40 minutes South of Daytona and the way people drive is shocking. I try to avoid it as much as possible but sometimes I drive on it. The speed limit is 70MPH and three lanes each direction. The people in the right lane drive 60MPH-75MPH The middle lane is mostly 70MPH-80MPH the left lane is 80MPH-110MPH (No exaggeration!) and then sprinkle in what I call "The Weavers". The people that go lane to lane driving 100+ in their high output sports cars. I've been down here since November 25th. I haven't seen one Highway Patrolman on I-95. Not one! The local Police cars I see on the State and County roads are unmanned cars used as decoys to keep speed reasonable. Where are the actual Police men and women? There were 4 fatalities a mile South of us the day after we arrived. It doesn't surprise me at all that people are dying at an alarming rate on that highway. Then add in the shootings and homicides in Daytona and Orlando and that's all that's on the news. What used to be a very nice area is turning into something undesirable.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:

Likely the 4th deadliest section of interstate.
As of late interstates are known for large multiple vehicle crashes. Drivers following too close expecting their fancy car to keep them out of trouble.

Possibly the 4th worst interstate but no real statistical increase in large multiple vehicle crashes nationwide.

But it's misleading to not to clarify that it is interstate specific as people who don't have a background in crash analysis think it's safer to avoid the freeways....it's not by a large margin.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Highly unlikely that it's the 4th deadliest. Freeways generally have crash rates about 1/50th of what surface streets have...so even a very bad freeway will typically be much better than a good surface street.

You may have more total accidents but once you adjust for high volumes, the crash rate is typically much more reasonable.

So when someone tells you they don't drive freeways because they are dangerous, they don't know what they are talking about.

Likely the 4th deadliest section of interstate.
As of late interstates are known for large multiple vehicle crashes. Drivers following too close expecting their fancy car to keep them out of trouble.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Highly unlikely that it's the 4th deadliest. Freeways generally have crash rates about 1/50th of what surface streets have...so even a very bad freeway will typically be much better than a good surface street.

You may have more total accidents but once you adjust for high volumes, the crash rate is typically much more reasonable.

So when someone tells you they don't drive freeways because they are dangerous, they don't know what they are talking about.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ken56
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terrible!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad