cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I40W in NC~ I75N in TN Mountains terrain? expectations?

Liza007
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to figure out the least stressful ride to the other side of the hills down here.

Being a flatlander from Cape Cod/Plymouth, the definition of hills down here are vastly different LOL

Can anyone please tell me what's in store along this route?
9 REPLIES 9

Liza007
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all, I'm trying to not beat the **** out of me and the truck. Just me and the hound and I'm not very brave

Charlotte, NC~Michigan potential work

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We like specific info here so we can be as accurate as possible for you. But...I-75 just over the Ohio river is a long up hill that's pretty gradual and no big deal. Most of KY is not terribly twisty turny or hilly except just before you get to the border of TN it gets mildly hilly, again nothing you can't handle.

I-40 west bound out of Asheville you run into the Pigeon River Gorge that is very twisty turny and hilly with some fair down hill grades. Semi trucks are relegated to the outside lane and speed limit of 55. I just fall in with them and leave a good following gap and go with the flow with no problem. There is no way that is any better to go around it so that's what you got. Its a beautiful drive though.

West bound I-40 isn't bad either. If you are going to Crossville then you will have a good climb up to the Cumberland Plateau, still not terrible but you will have to push on the gas pedal.

I advise against going through the Nat'l Park (441) through New Found Gap pulling a trailer. That is steep both up and down with lots of turns, some sharp and tight. With not having any experience pulling in the mountains you should not attempt it. I see everything from truck campers, class C's, MoHo's and travel trailers with over heated brakes every time I go through there.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We have been through the North Carolina hills and gourges many times with no trouble. Just pay attention to the posted signs and limits and you will be great. And, the big truckers are NOT the problem. If they can make it, so can you. Be aware of your and their limitations and just fit in. Most thankful I have ever been was while approaching and passing an ON ramp I-40, west of Ashland, downhill grade, when a car rushed up the ramp, cut in front of our Motor Home then jammed on his brakes and almost stopped because he couldn't cut into the left lane. The only reason we are alive is because we were in a line of PROFESSIONAL, TRAINED truckers that observed the conditions and probability of unexpected conditions. I, and at least four truckers behind me, locked up everything we had, while the one front of me stomped on it and was able to get our of the way. Take your time and enjoy, it is a beautiful drive through that area.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some good input from posts above. Not knowing where you're starting or where you're ending, the general information is solid, places to watch out for.

Presumably, at some point, you may have driven the mountains/hills areas of your region, the Berkshires, the Greens and the Whites, perhaps the Catskills or Adirondacks. Won't be a whole lot different in places, and will also be just as scenic in places. Taking your time and enjoying the drive will make it less stressful.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Actually there are over 300 mountain passes and grades in the eastern states and they can be found from mountaindirectory.com .

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 West bound.

I-40 between Black Mountain and Old Fort is 6% for 5 miles. It is three lanes wide in both directions, but curvy.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
There is Black Mountain in NC that going west is a pretty good pull for 4 or 5 miles then levels off. At the western edge of NC is a curvy, twisty section of I 40 called the Gorge. Semi's must stay in the right lane, it's not to bad but you must stay on your toes as there has been many wrecks just look at the road and concrete middle barriers for all the gouges from wrecks at every curve in the road. I75 N in TN is hilly with one long pull up hill but nothing to worry about. If you're going I 40 to I 75 I would recommend I 40W "I 640 W" to I 75N

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you will be fine as long as you watch the signs and speed limits. Be careful on the turns and speed and downhill runs.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Our mountains are nothing like what you have out west. The interstates do not have any really steep mountains. Stay at are below the posted speed limit and you will be fine.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff