cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Icefields Parkway Security/Safety

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I'll admit I'm now somewhat paranoid due to our rental car being broken into in Seattle last year, but does any one have any idea if there are any issues along the Icefields Parkway with car break-ins? We're flying out there at the end of the summer and due to a change in flight time by United we're arriving later than originally planned. Because it's a 5 hour drive we've opted to spend the first night in Calgary, then take our time driving up to Jasper the following day, which will require us to leave our gear in the rental. I understand that there's always some risk but has any one heard of any real problems?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
27 REPLIES 27

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
If I am not mistaken, in order to drive the Icefields Parkway, one must have a Parks Canada Pass that is rather expensive.

To be clear - as long as you have a regular Parks Pass you do NOT need a separate pass for the Parkway.
However if you entered the Park without paying you will be required to pay on entering the Parkway.
Hint - if you will be in the Canadian National Parks - any and/or all of them in that year for more than 6 days.the annual pass is the best deal!
John (A retired Park Warden)
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
there are very few exits.

Something that I didn't really consider at first. Living where I live it's hard to imagine and it's been so long since I've been there that the memory is a bit foggy.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
We have tented and Rv's in Banff and other locations in BC and AB and never had anything stolen.

Keep in mind that once you are on the Ice Fields Parkway, there are very few exits. If thieves are breaking into vehicles it is easy for the police to set up road blocks.

I would not compare the national statistics for property crime to that area. I certainly would not compare it to something that happened in Seattle, or Vancouver or Calgary for that matter.

Thieves are usually opportunists, in Seattle the thieves were probably looking for something they could sell to buy drugs. No place for either where you are going.

TundraTire
Explorer
Explorer
I live just outside Edmonton, and recently camped in Peter Lougheed park as well as Mt Kidd rv park.

As far as security goes, Gary's suggestions are bang on. There doesn't seem to be many problems at the trail heads, but if you left your vehicle in one of the tourist towns (Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper) the risk level could be potentially higher.

As far as hiking goes, if you choose to do any hikes in the southern areas near Banff/Canmore, make sure to check on area closures and bring bear spray. There's quite a high level of bear activity, in part due to a bumper crop of berries at the lower elevations.

Enjoy your trip, it's spectacular country.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe, these blog posts may be useful -- lots of photos:

First of several posts
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Our beautiful Province might steal your heart...

It already did. Hubby and I were there about 26 years ago. Didn't take near enough time to enjoy it then but we will this time.

you are planning to go from Calgary to Jasper in one day. That can be done, easily, but I assume you are going to take a lot more time on the way back from Jasper??

Our original plan was to land in Calgary then drive immediately up to Jasper. Due to common sense prevailing we are staying in Calgary our first night and then leaving first thing Saturday a.m. to drive up. It's about 5 hours, without stops. We have until 10 p.m. to check into our cabin so we will take all day to go up the parkway. Anything we miss on the way up will be covered on our way back from Jasper down to Canmore. Once again we'll have all day to get down to Canmore, which is about 3.5 hours away without stops. We also have the option of driving up/down the Parkway from either end during any of our days there, although the plan is to explore as much as we can in the parks and their environs.

Douglas Adams

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Just did 2 weeks in the area. Didn't do any serious hikes, but did most of the short walks (mile or 2) you can think of. Go to the various info centers (Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff)and they will do a great job in giving suggestions. Lots of lakes, falls etc. that are easy to get to.

As far as leaving stuff in the car, most parking lots are packed so it's not like there is no one around who would notice someone breaking into a car. Really can't see it happening at most places.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Crowe, I re-read your original post, and I see that you are planning to go from Calgary to Jasper in one day. That can be done, easily, but I assume you are going to take a lot more time on the way back from Jasper?? The Icefields Parkway is one of the greatest drives in the world -- lots of spectacular hikes and viewpoints. We spent about a month in that area a few years ago -- Lake Louise, Yoho, Banff, Canmore, the Icefields (of course), Peter Lougheed, and on and on. Let us know if you want any info about hiking in those areas.

We will be there next month any information on hiking would be gratefully appreciated

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe, I re-read your original post, and I see that you are planning to go from Calgary to Jasper in one day. That can be done, easily, but I assume you are going to take a lot more time on the way back from Jasper?? The Icefields Parkway is one of the greatest drives in the world -- lots of spectacular hikes and viewpoints. We spent about a month in that area a few years ago -- Lake Louise, Yoho, Banff, Canmore, the Icefields (of course), Peter Lougheed, and on and on. Let us know if you want any info about hiking in those areas.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
Our beautiful Province might steal your heart...
Take the usual precautions, and you will be fine.
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There are police all along the Parkway. It's a LOT safer than Seattle. If it would make you feel better, choose your parking space close to a building and where folks walk all day long, and under lighting. Don't park out in the far reaches. People on the Parkway are there for a reason - to tour and experience the beauty. Go and enjoy yourself!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mountaineer42
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
If I am not mistaken, in order to drive the Icefields Parkway, one must have a Parks Canada Pass that is rather expensive.

Yes, you must have a Parks Pass to travel the Icefields Parkway. Fees are:
Daily
Adult $ 9.80
Senior $ 8.30
Youth $ 4.90
Family/Group $ 19.60
Commercial Group, per person $ 8.30
School Groups, per student $ 3.90
Annual - Discovery Pass
Adult $ 67.70
Senior $ 57.90
Youth $ 33.30
Family/Group $ 136.40

NEW! Parks Canada's 2016 Annual Passes are valid for TWO full years. This is the first step toward celebrating the 150th anniversary of Canada's Confederation.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Did some research and property crime rates are almost the same as in the US. There are many factors that lead to crime with population density being one of them. I used to be a Project Wild instructor in MA. One of the things I'd teach is how wildlife over-population puts stresses on species. It's a great experiment-sit kids far apart, then move them closer and closer together and see what happens. But I digress.

We've always felt safe while visiting Canadian cities but that doesn't mean we let our guard down. My concern (seemingly unfounded) with the Parkway
being a tourist area that opportunists would take advantage of large parking lots but as one poster said, that's a long way to drive. I would think that areas like downtown Banff and Jasper might lend themselves to easier pickings. I also would caution that anyone reading this understand that "safer" is a relative term-crime can happen anywhere at any time.

Can't wait to go-just a few more weeks!

Douglas Adams