cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Icefields Pkwy (93) Banff to Jasper

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're planning a trip to Banff and Jasper for early September this year. I'm planning a two week stay in Banff followed by a one week stay in Jasper. To get from Banff to Jasper, my Garmin system recommends driving Banff ? Calgary ? Edmonton ? Jasper (789 km) instead of driving directly from Banff ? Jasper via the Icefields Pkwy route 93 (288 km).

I will be pulling a 31 ft travel trailer and can easily drive the 288 km on a single tank full of fuel. I will also carry 10 L of extra fuel just-in-case. Is there any technical reasons (tight curves, travel restrictions, gravel roads, etc) to prohibit driving the shorter Icefields Pkwy?
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40
20 REPLIES 20

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
Another reason to use road maps instead of GPS.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
You must have some weird setting in your Garmin. No problem to drive up the parkway. There is gas available along the parkway (can't remember the name of the stop) but it's outrageously expensive.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Sinterior
Explorer
Explorer
A beautiful drive we have done many times. Do stop at the Interpretive center and take a tour on a glacier on a Snow Coach.
Fuel up before going on the Icefields Hwy as the only fuel stop is at Saskatchewan River Crossing, and the prices are frankly, a rip off!
Pete, Terry (Teresa) & Cira, 12lb furbag ๐Ÿ™‚

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40SKQ
2017 Chev Equinox V6 AWD
Blue Ox Avail
Patriot II Braking system
Garmin dezl 560LMT

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We drove it both south to north and then reverse when we went to Alaska in 15. There is a fuel station about half way between Lake Louise and Jasper. The only long pull is at the Athabaskan glacier northbound we had no problem with it. Enjoy.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
You won't have any problems driving your rig on the Icefields Parkway. Excellent scenery, many observation points.

Fuel, can you go 180 miles (288 Kms) on your tank of fuel?

Columbia Icefields.
Besure to stop here, lots of big rig parking, another favourite of ours is Peyto Lake and the Athabaska Falls areas

When you programmed your Garmin, did you have it programmed to trucks (it thinks COMMERCIAL trucks) which are NOT permitted on the Icefields Parkway. RVs are very common.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We drove Calgary to Banff to Jasper in a rent car, not towing. But I don't remember anything that would keep me from going back towing my 5er. Road is paved all the way. One pass to go over, but not bad in any way that I recall.

When in the Banff area, take a side trip along 1A from Banff to Lake Louise and you may see some of these. We saw 5 in one group right beside the road.