cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If It Is The Least Consolation...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The gunman that carjacked the Canadian Rainbirds Jeep, is now way down in the basement shoveling coal for eternity.

I don't believe this "chisme" (gossip) to be idle rumor. There was a massive gunfight just outside of Caleta de Campos, Michoacan a few days ago and the rurales killed more than a dozen sicarios (gun men) at a huge roadblock. One of the -no longer with us- is strongly believed to be -the one- that robbed the Jeep. His name was "Carlos". I believe what my family tells me, not what some yellow journalism website or mass media conjures up.

The "Self Defense Forces" are going house-to-house, routing crooks, drug dealers and scumbags. From Cerro de Ortega to Lazaro Cardenas, hundreds of Templarios have been shot or arrested or fled into the mountains. Rumor has it over TEN THOUSAND gente are taking part in this flushing of the toilet.

Every last PJE, state cop has been fired. Weapons confiscated. Policias Preventivas del municipios (like sheriff deputies) have been forcibly removed from duty, weapons confiscated. Presidentes de municipios have been indicted by the federal attorney general. Same with ministerio publicos. The MP who did the paperwork on the rainbirds Jeep is history. He was an employee of the Templarios.

A massive effort of Marinas and Rurales have cleaned out Playa Azul, La Mira, Arteaga, and are now headed for Lazaro Cardenas.

Enough! Michoacan is one of the nicest, most beautiful states in la republica. I do not expect the governor and his lackeys to survive the most massive cleanup in recent Mexico history. When the public effort gets finished, the state will be cleaner and safer than any other. The rurales are NOT going to go away. They are going to keep working with los marinas and el ejercito until this state is safe for tourism once again.

WHY? You ask, am I so emotional about this? in the parking lot of Bodega Aurrera, with my two grand daughters, a gunfight took place in the street and edge of the parking lot. A bullet chipped concrete and has left a scar across my forehead. It's been this way for five years now. Dalia age 5 wet herself so bad and Pilar kept screaming te sangrear (you are bleeding!) My face and shirt front was soaked in blood. Cinco puntas (five stitches).

I realize some of you could care less. This is your right. But others may be interested in knowing what actually is taking place. Michoacan is a place of peace and beauty. The templarios are learning this the most hardest of ways.
81 REPLIES 81

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
darbone85737 wrote:
a non-stealable Mexican car

'65 Ford Falcon/Ranchero!

"Non stealable"? Are you SURE?
I ask because that puppy would look good in my carport next to its kissin' cousin my '65 Ford Falcon WAGON!

I do have a flatbed, a winch, a pair of bolt cutters, and an AK47. Isn't that all I'd need to make it My Very Own down there? :B
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sucker's a limousine compared to my dappled dented ride.

If ANYONE is interested in making up their own 15 minute FAIL-PROOF auto-shutdown device please email me. Any auto stereo installation facility can install it. Fail proof means it will last 15 years or more. It uses a WIRELESS REMOTE to enable and disable.

i forgot about the bloodsucking USA lawyers who would sue a carjacking victim's pants off if the robbers were inconvenienced and had to walk after a stolen car stalled on them.

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I for one have made up my mind that if I ever am lucky enough to come to/visit Mexico, I'll be driving something that nobody on Planet Earth would want to steal.

Recommendations as to least desirable brands greatly appreciated...

We sold our RV.

So our last trip to Mexico was aboard the Legend shown.

Then renting this cut off car in Mexico.
Meant we did not have to worry about anyone stealing it.

Fun trip by the way!
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
The device is autowatch, made in South Africa,. There are distributors in Canada and the UK. Here is the Canadiana one:

LINK

They are about $300 plus installation. i am assuming the warnings you get are via a speaker which hopefully you can put a switch on. I would rather a hijacker get no warnings, best for them to think it just died. I would leave it on and just disable it if I felt I was in a situation. under normal cicumstances I would want a warnign if I forgot to press the button.

Video

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I have done a lot of searching (Googling) for a remote shut off switch with a timer. I cannot find anything. I find switches and remotes but no timer. There are ways to create your own but I see nothing out there for sale that does what we are talking about. I think some cars come from the factory with them but can't find an add-on. Maybe someone will find something and let the rest of us know.

We used to put a manual fuel cutoff switch/valve in the fuel line of trucks so maybe they could go as far as the fuel in the lines would allow - not very far. The idea talked about here was to install something that allowed the thieves about 5 minutes of run time down the road and then the vehicle quits. I think it can be done but those interested may have to design their own device using available parts.

So you put that in and they take of with the vehicle and get a few miles down the road and the vehicle quits on them. You then use your GPS tracker to find the vehicle. I hope that clarifies the idea some of us have been discussing here. Not enough time allowed for the crooks to get to their hideout or chopshop. Just enough time for them to be far enough away so they hopefully are no longer a threat. We are not talking about going out into the jungle to search for them. We are talking about hopefully finding the vehicle a couple few miles down the road. We are also not just talking about having this in Mexico but having it anywhere we go in North America. Maybe in won't work in the badlands of Michoacan but that is not the only place we plan to travel. No one said it will work in every situation - but neither will locking your doors and taking the keys when you park. Based on statistics I think this sort of thing happens more often in the US than in Mexico.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I for one have made up my mind that if I ever am lucky enough to come to/visit Mexico, I'll be driving something that nobody on Planet Earth would want to steal.

Recommendations as to least desirable brands greatly appreciated...

RonYVickie
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila has been talking about a 3 minute (variable) shutdown device which DOES exist, but it seems he hasn't been heard. I'm sure he'll post a link to it. The device MW posted is indeed, just an immobilizer, which have been around for ages - I think Honda had them in '96, built into the key. Other aftermarket ones included a fairly common one that used a swipe card over a sensor, usually mounted under the centre console or a part of the dash. They work very well in a parked-and-not-present situation. I know from experience that nothing but a timed shut-down will do anyone any good if the crooks and you are all present. RYV

Mountainman42
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Hi, now we're getting somewhere.

It is a TIMER.

The disabler allows the engine to start and the crooks drive away.

FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER the engine shuts down and the crooks haven't a clue as to why. By then they are long gone from you. Long long long gone. You are safe.

But the car can not run. Thieves do not call tow trucks, nor do they hook a chain to a disabled car. Cops and military look at towed cars. Brown faces, extraneous plates means el problemo for the crooks. They are not going to risk it.

The car stalls, they bail and run like hell. The issue is THE CAR DOES NOT DISAPPEAR. Continue on, call the cops. Hail a Mexican. Block the goddamned road. Someone will stop.

How hard is it to say. "ES DESCOMPUESTO EL CARRO" to the crooks? What are they going to do, shoot you?

Don't let your imagination run away with itself forming a scenario about how a carjacking will actually go down. But even the stupidest idiot in Mexico knows that harming a foreigner is like 10,000% more serious than harming other than a rich or influential Mexicano. The Army and the cops react. You know what, flows downhill.

The car stalls down the road. They run like hell. Even if they torch the goddamned car you are 100 times better off than if the car disappears. Half of the misery is the missing car, the other half is dealing with the Mexican government. If a melted hulk burned it's way through the asphalt you are better off. I have never heard of crooks taking the time to throw a temper tantrum. If the military or SSP stumbles across them, they get shot or worse.

This sounds like a great idea, BUT the device in the link you provided is NOT a timer. It is simply a DISABLER that prevents the vehicle from being started unless the plug is in place. As RonYVickie has already mentioned, that type of system is only effective for disabling your vehicle when you have parked and left it somewhere. It is pretty much useless when you are stopped by an armed carjacker in the middle of nowhere, as it is NOT a timer.
If a device such as you describe (a timed disabler) actually exists, please post a link to it.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Here is a link to a system that actually works...

http://www.neverhotwired.com/enginedisablers/

I wanted to make two points very clear and I hope I succeeded. The first is to steer clear of my lovely home turf for now. It's uglier than hell around here.

The second is, when a car disappears the missing car is not the major issue. Having to pay tax insults the injury. Whether they know it or not, Canadian Rainbirds and RonYVikie face a real possibility (I hate to term it probability but it is) that ADUANA is not going to allow the TIP holder to obtain future temporary import permits. The ADUANA computer system is a nightmare. Total suspicion, and more blocks, safeguards, and tripwires to guard against employees fraudulently legalizing delinquent cars than you can imagine.

So the object is to not lose the car. Period. The no-start does not safeguard against tow truck theft, but as far as carjacking is concerned it will work. 100% of the time.

There is no reason to "fear" Mexico. When someone writes facts, cold, hard, reality, then proceeds to offer advice how to avoid problems it is not scare tactics. It is so easy to avoid security and safety issues but a few folks who do not live in Mexico and face and deal with this stuff every day are a little too fast to criticize. One thing, I -NEVER- criticize fellow posters with derogatory labels and disparaging remarks, and it's for a reason. I refuse to belittle myself.

Now, this post is helpful, rational, polite, and not overcapitalized. And no cussing, too; which practice both distracts from the point and distresses the sensibilities.

Thanks!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, now we're getting somewhere.

It is a TIMER.

The disabler allows the engine to start and the crooks drive away.

FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER the engine shuts down and the crooks haven't a clue as to why. By then they are long gone from you. Long long long gone. You are safe.

But the car can not run. Thieves do not call tow trucks, nor do they hook a chain to a disabled car. Cops and military look at towed cars. Brown faces, extraneous plates means el problemo for the crooks. They are not going to risk it.

The car stalls, they bail and run like hell. The issue is THE CAR DOES NOT DISAPPEAR. Continue on, call the cops. Hail a Mexican. Block the goddamned road. Someone will stop.

How hard is it to say. "ES DESCOMPUESTO EL CARRO" to the crooks? What are they going to do, shoot you?

Don't let your imagination run away with itself forming a scenario about how a carjacking will actually go down. But even the stupidest idiot in Mexico knows that harming a foreigner is like 10,000% more serious than harming other than a rich or influential Mexicano. The Army and the cops react. You know what, flows downhill.

The car stalls down the road. They run like hell. Even if they torch the goddamned car you are 100 times better off than if the car disappears. Half of the misery is the missing car, the other half is dealing with the Mexican government. If a melted hulk burned it's way through the asphalt you are better off. I have never heard of crooks taking the time to throw a temper tantrum. If the military or SSP stumbles across them, they get shot or worse.

RonYVickie
Explorer
Explorer
That engine disabler sounds very effective. The problem is, that when you are present at the theft and the vehicle won't start and the thief is armed and excited, you either will have to stand your ground or disable the disabler for them on the spot. Parking in a lot and walking away, then having the thieves try to start it without success is a very attractive option, but that is not always the scenario, as it wasn't with us. I already have a starter kill in place which would have protected the vehicle in that case, but you have to take into consideration that there are different possibilities. RYV

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to a system that actually works...

http://www.neverhotwired.com/enginedisablers/

I wanted to make two points very clear and I hope I succeeded. The first is to steer clear of my lovely home turf for now. It's uglier than hell around here.

The second is, when a car disappears the missing car is not the major issue. Having to pay tax insults the injury. Whether they know it or not, Canadian Rainbirds and RonYVikie face a real possibility (I hate to term it probability but it is) that ADUANA is not going to allow the TIP holder to obtain future temporary import permits. The ADUANA computer system is a nightmare. Total suspicion, and more blocks, safeguards, and tripwires to guard against employees fraudulently legalizing delinquent cars than you can imagine.

So the object is to not lose the car. Period. The no-start does not safeguard against tow truck theft, but as far as carjacking is concerned it will work. 100% of the time.

There is no reason to "fear" Mexico. When someone writes facts, cold, hard, reality, then proceeds to offer advice how to avoid problems it is not scare tactics. It is so easy to avoid security and safety issues but a few folks who do not live in Mexico and face and deal with this stuff every day are a little too fast to criticize. One thing, I -NEVER- criticize fellow posters with derogatory labels and disparaging remarks, and it's for a reason. I refuse to belittle myself.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
I posted this before but as a reminder - well over 700,000 car thefts in the US each year - why would Mexico be the only place we worry about having theft proof devices and GPS tracking? Is this off topic? So it may or may not work? Will locking your car stop a pro? If it sounds like a good idea why not add it to our defense tactics? Or just give up? Listening to the primary naysayer in this thread sounds like there is no hope for any of us and he has given up all hope that we can or should defend ourselves. Psycho-babble if you ask me.

Care to name the psychobabbler?

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
Psycho-babble if you ask me.

As a hope-to-be-a-visitor, I guess I'm missing the point of all the hysteria; unless it's to scare folks off from visiting Mexico at all-?

Or is it really just ranting/venting as suggested above????