cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indiana to SD toYellowstone

schwipps324
Explorer
Explorer
Will be heading to Black Hills and Yellowstone here in a few weeks from Indiana. Just wanted to throw the route out there to see if there is anything that I should be aware of. We will be traveling in a large rig, 44ft toy hauler and just want to be aware of anything that might cause a problem. Will be heading west on 74 out of Indianapolis up to the Davenport area to get on US 80 and take it all the way across Iowa to US 29 and head up to Sioux Falls and jump on 90 and head across SD to Rapid City to jump on 16 South down to Beaver lake Campground. After a few nights in SD we will hop back and 90 and take it up towards Billings and over where we will get on 84 to 287 and down to Henrys Lake State Park. Again, just curious if there are any routes I need to be aware of.
8 REPLIES 8

schwipps324
Explorer
Explorer
Mote wrote:
We are also from Southern Indiana and heading to the Black Hills and Yellowstone soon. We'll be leaving labor day weekend and will be heading the same route as you.
Maybe we'll see you along the way.

Might just pass you along the way home!

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
We are also from Southern Indiana and heading to the Black Hills and Yellowstone soon. We'll be leaving labor day weekend and will be heading the same route as you.
Maybe we'll see you along the way.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can get to the Tetons from Henrys Lake. It will be a long day, but a day trip there will be well worth your time. Go thru YNP, fastest way to get there.

While at Henrys Lake, spend a day exploring Island Park too: don't miss Mesa Falls and Big Springs. You can even get to the Bechler area of Yellowstone too (the Idaho portion 🙂 ). Go past Mesa Falls and take the turnoff for Cave Falls. 18 miles of gravel road (be forewarned) but some great trails, good fishing (license needed) and beautiful waterfalls. And bragging rights - most YNP visitors never see this part of the park.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

schwipps324
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info guys. We have ten nights booked at Henry's lake so we have quite a while to explore Yellowstone. We thought about the Tetons but haven't made a decision yet which may have been a mistake. It's hard for us to stay in parks because of the size of our camper. So we try to stay as close as possible. Henry's lake looked nice. Glad to hear good things. Looking forward to the trip!

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken that route to Rapid City for the last 38 years. First went in '78 on military assignment. I would highly suggest that you take the US-16 by-pass to go south. The route thru town is under construction on the south end as you head up the hill by the hosp. We were just out there the week of July 8th thru July 11th.
Since you are east of my place a few miles you will be almost 1200 miles to Rapid City in case you did not know. There will be a few sections of road that are under construction as you go along, but no real problems getting thru. Be advised that the speed limit in S.D. on I-29 and I-90 is 80mph and the trucks will be hitting close to 70 or better. Don't let then bother you. Have a safe trip and enjoy your time in the west. Oh, we lived in Rapid City for 9 years before moving back home in '87.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We have taken that route to Rapid City for the last 38 years. First went in '78 on military assignment. I would highly suggest that you take the US-16 by-pass to go south. The route thru town is under construction on the south end as you head up the hill by the hosp. We were just out there the week of July 8th thru July 11th.
Since you are east of my place a few miles you will be almost 1200 miles to Rapid City in case you did not know. There will be a few sections of road that are under construction as you go along, but no real problems getting thru. Be advised that the speed limit in S.D. on I-29 and I-90 is 80mph and the trucks will be hitting close to 70 or better. Don't let then bother you. Have a safe trip and enjoy your time in the west. Oh, we lived in Rapid City for 9 years before moving back home in '87.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Staying IN Yellowstone might not be possible if you're going soon and haven't already booked a reservation. True that Henrys Lake is very different from the park, and it is a bit of a drive (20 miles or so t the west gate of Yellowstone), but it's not a bad place to stay otherwise. Windy, and no shade, but has 360-degree mountain views!

Yellowstone is huge; I hope you have planned at least 4 full days there (between arrival & departure dates) because you'll need it just to hit the highlights. Agreed, don't miss the Tetons if you have at least 4 days in the area. Easiest to reach thru Yellowstone, but will be a long drive from Island Park.

I don't see any issues with your route either. I believe you mean I-29 rather than US 29 in Iowa, correct?
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
No issues on your route. Be sure to add Grand Teton Nat'l Park for your stay. Stay IN the park. It's a long drive from Henry's Lake which is a nice place by the way. 🙂 Both parks are completely different in looks.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel