cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Input welcome: Gaspe Peninsula, Quebec, Montreal

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We're hoping to make a trip to the Gaspe Peninsula this summer, after having a wonderful time two years ago in Canada's Atlantic Provinces.

My spouse's father was born in Montreal and late grandparents retired in a small cottage at St. Eustache near the water many decades ago. So a return to Montreal is on our list, as well as first time to Quebec City. And we look forward to driving around the Gaspรฉsie.

Any suggestions for best weather (July, Aug, Sept are options?

Favorite campgrounds?

Thoughts on routes?

Attractions such as museums not to be missed?

We appreciate any input you have time to give.
15 REPLIES 15

CueSee
Explorer
Explorer
Mtl >>> Gaspรฉ

Hope I can help you here. August and September are good here as the construction vacation period ends at the end of the first week on August.

I know nothing about the Montrรฉal area so maybe some oen else could pitch in.

OK. I imagine that you will be using the highway 20 or 40 to get to Quรฉbec. If using the 20 there are Walmarts at Charny (Exit 314 on the 20)and in Lรฉvis Exit 325 I think it is. Over in Quรฉbec I cannot say for sure but there is a chance for overnights inthe parking areas near the ferry landing in Q-City. On the Lรฉvis side you can park also at the ferry parking lot and take the boat over to visit.

As for things to see and all. Around the fery landing and taking the funicular up to the Chรขteau Frontenac is the main tourist route, plenty to see all over. A rainy day? The civilization Museum right near the ferry. Many other places around, send me a PM

Now depending on your time, you can take the Rt.132 instead of the #20 because on the 20 you do not see much at all. If you are not a big hurry I'd take the 132 from Beaumont, just east of Lรฉvis or the 132 from Montmagny. This road runs parallel to the 20. All along that route you will find interesting things. There are campgrounds east of Montmagny, in St-Roch-de-sAulnaies just west of St-Jean-Port-Joli BUT on cool place is as you leave St-Roch, just a bit away you'll see a bird migration sign and a well kept dirt road which will bring you out to a point of observation. Portable toilets and benches are available and it is free. St-Roch is about 75 miles east of Quรฉbec. There are bicyle trails all along there and beautiful old homes and farms. At riviรจre-du-Loup there is a nice cg at the ferry landing. As you leave the toewn, you cross a bridge and the road curves to the right and climbs, at middle of the hill turn left, the cg is that way.
Trois-Pistoles isnext, cgs there too and then as you leave Trois-Pistoles the next village is St-Simon RESPECT THE SPEED LIMIT! from there to Rimouski. From the Quรฉbec Bridge om thr Hwy 20 Rimouski is a three hour drive at 60 mph Rimouski is a nice place but for campimnI highly recommend POINTE_AU_PรˆRE which is just east of Rimouski and you turn on Rue Pรจre-Nouvelle to the left, it wil be indicated. There is a lighthouse, a submarine and a museum there, free parking with tables and all. Showers and laundry facilities are at the Marina at Rimouski-Est (You'll see the marina as you pass by for P-A-P). From there you meander and you'll see sighns for Captain Homard, a terrific restaurant in an old barn with a cg on the premises and I assure you that the view is awesome. I'd reserve if it is in August or on a weekend. Mรฉtis-sur-Mer there is The Gardens of Mรฉtis and Camping Annie right near. Thos gardens are awesome. You'll then be into Matane, anytihngto see or do is on the 132, don't go into town, not much there. Now go Google Carpintieri or Carpenteri..It is a winery at St-Ulric which is just before Matane, beautiful place and there are eaolians all over the place in the back. As you go along from there there wil be many interesting stops to make.

There will be a fork after Ste-Anne-des-monts, eitheryou shortcut to Gaspรฉ via St-Majorique or you continue around the ''shoulder''. There is Parc Forillon but I do not know if it is open.

Well you're in Gaspeรฉ there is a camping in Haldimand right near there.

If you want me to ''bring you back'' to Quรฉbec City, let me know...my fingers are shot!
QueSee

http://coldjosh.nstemp.com/index.html