cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interstate 39 alert

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
There's an electronic sign message that the northbound I39 ramp at the U.S. 20 junction just south of Rockford will be closed the week of May 2. This will require northbound I39 traffic to take a detour.

I'm sure there will be a detour posted, but it's not likely to be pretty. 😞
Stu
Jayco King 8 PUP (1986-2014 - RIP, little friend :()
11 REPLIES 11

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
Update 5/27: Bridge reconstruction is finished, and northbound I39 ramp is now open again. As a bonus, as of this morning all the construction in the 20-mile work zone between MPs 96 and 116 (just south of I88 to Rockford) has been picked up for the Memorial Day weekend, and all lanes are open all the way, both directions.
Stu

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
Update 5/16: ramp is still closed. One lane northbound between milepost 96 (just south of I88 interchange) and about 100 or so for resurfacing.
Stu

jdocter7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
Hemi Joel wrote:
jdocter7 wrote:
It looks like Hwy 251 runs parallel, just west of I-39. Would it make sense to hop off and on and take 251 for ten miles? Heading north day after tomorrow, 40 foot motorhome towing a car. Thanks!

That would be slower than taking the detour. The detour sends you east on 20 to 251, then make a U-turn onto 20 west, then onto 39 north.

x2
Stu

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
jdocter7 wrote:
It looks like Hwy 251 runs parallel, just west of I-39. Would it make sense to hop off and on and take 251 for ten miles? Heading north day after tomorrow, 40 foot motorhome towing a car. Thanks!

That would be slower than taking the detour. The detour sends you east on 20 to 251, then make a U-turn onto 20 west, then onto 39 north.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

jdocter7
Explorer
Explorer

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, that's it.

If you're not driving a big rig, here's an alternate detour. Get off I39 at Baxter Road (exit 115). Go east about 2 miles to Perryville Road. Go north as far as you can go (you'll hit a blocked detour) and turn right onto Mill Road. Stay on Mill Road to the first stoplight, which is U.S. 20. Turn left, and you're right at an entrance back on to I39 north. Mill Road goes through a residential neighborhood, and I'm not sure about weight limits, so use at your own risk.
Stu

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I got cought in it Saturday. seemed like about 10 miles of backtracking to get thru it.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
Update 5/11: As of today, the ramp is still closed. Traffic is being detoured west on U. S. 20 two exits to Illinois 251, where it gets off the divided highway and gets back on eastbound.

Another headache: starting next week, there will be resurfacing taking place between MPs 96 and 116 (south of Rochelle to south of Rockford), a continuation of the work done last summer. I expect it will last most of the summer. If it's like last year, there will be periodic lane closures and some pretty significant backups, both northbound and southbound. I'd especially avoid it northbound on Friday afternoon and southbound on Sunday afternoon (Illinois weekenders going to and from Wisconsin).
Stu

earlvillestu
Explorer
Explorer
All the sign said was "Week of 5/2." I travel this route weekly; I'll update when I know more.
Stu

INBellbuoy
Explorer
Explorer
Will this be closed for awhile? I'll be headed thru there Memorial Day Weekend.
INBellbuoy, wife of 36 yrs, 19 yr old son, & Scruffy the Goldendoodle, 2007 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab, 2005 Lund 1800 Explorer w/ 90 hp Yamaha & Minn Kota I-Pilot Link , 2006 Host Yukon W/ Tent 80W solar panel