cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is bulk DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) available in AK?

RandMJacobs
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to find bulk DEF in Alaska. If you know of any in Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula, or up as far as Fairbanks, please list the location. Thanks. (P.S. have heard that DEF will go bad if exposed to excessive heat (as in shipping), so to steer clear of stuff sold in stores...not to mention buying in bulk is cheaper).
10 REPLIES 10

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Autozone sells it in Mexico where they dont even have ULSD yet, so I am betting they sell it them in Alaska.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Tire has it in 2.5 gal as well but a bit spendy at $19.99

Tarheel_2
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
I can make it approximately 4500 miles between fills of DEF and a fill is about 2.5 gallons. 2.5 gallon SuperTech DEF is 8 or 9 dollars at Walmart and your shelf life concern is a non-issue. There are Walmarts in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Kenai.

Currently in Fort Collins, CO

I just returned home from Alaska yesterday and drove over 12,000 miles on the trip. All of the DEF I used came from Walmart both in Alaska and the lower 48. It was also the Supertech brand. I bought 2-4 containers at a time and carried them in the covered bed of the pickup that I tow. As stated previously, finding DEF in Alaska is not a problem, except for bulk.
Tarheel

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
I can make it approximately 4500 miles between fills of DEF and a fill is about 2.5 gallons. 2.5 gallon SuperTech DEF is 8 or 9 dollars at Walmart and your shelf life concern is a non-issue. There are Walmarts in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Kenai.

Currently in Fort Collins, CO
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
I have never seen a bulk DEF pump up here are a gas station. What's wrong with the stuff in stores that everyone up here uses?
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
Among things I have never seen in Alaska are Truck Stops and a bulk DEF dispenser. There may be such a thing, but I have not seen it in Alaska anywhere. I suspect the big truck yards have their own fueling facilities, and the gas stations don't have the bulk dispensers.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can buy it everywhere. If heat was an issue, trucks would be dying every where. It's supposed to be 105 at the hydro plane races here in Kennewick WA.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Three years ago we I did an extensive search to find bulk DEF in Alaska and came up with zip. I haven't found any up there since then. Since we spend every other summer in AK it was more than an academic exercise. I've used the 2 1/2 gal jugs and refilled them, but they take up a lot of room in the basement and are a pain pouring them into the DEF tank. DEF takes a lot of heat and time to start deteriorating, so I would not be concerned about buying the 2 1/2 gal tanks in a store, except for the high price in remote places. We've got 60,000 miles on the Bus and have had no DEF issues.

Because of this difficulty, I purchased a 15 gal farm chemical spray tank from Tractor Supply and placed it at the very rear of the Bus engine, just below the engine access hatch. The tank allows me to fill it from either side (no more entering DEF lines backward) and holds enough to get me from Montana to Alaska and return to Montana without needing DEF.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
find a big truck repair shop they should have bulk.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
RandMJacobs wrote:
Would like to find bulk DEF in Alaska. If you know of any in Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula, or up as far as Fairbanks, please list the location. Thanks. (P.S. have heard that DEF will go bad if exposed to excessive heat (as in shipping), so to steer clear of stuff sold in stores...not to mention buying in bulk is cheaper).

Available at all of the auto part stores in 2.5 gallon jugs. The only place we found it at the pump other than the lower 48 was in Saskatoon. We paid as much as $16.00 for 2.5 gallons. If I recall correctly, we purchased around 10 of those jugs.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures