cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is extra gas needed

Graydust
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on leaving the 2nd of June for Alaska. I have a Hemi 5.7, Gas, 9 mpg 34 gal tank. Do I have to worry about running out of gas. I had planned on taking two 5gal safety gas cans but I am not sure if it is needed. Has anybody run into a problem? My rig is in my profile. Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
When we travelled with a camper on the truck we had two flats on the Dempster Highway and one on the Campbell Highway, both rough gravel. The weight on the truck likely was a factor.

With the fifth wheel, we've had flats on the truck on the Alaska Highway (after driving through a construction zone) and on Highway 97 just north of Prince George.

DH checks the tires every time we stop, which is every couple of hours to stretch the legs. He just walks around looking at everything to ensure things are good. Every morning he checks tire pressure and fluid levels in the truck. Towing long distances with lots of elevation change is heavy duty work for the truck so he keeps a close eye on its status.

I do the same thing as your DH with one addition. I use a laser temp gauge to check the temp of each tire, each wheel and each rotor/drum (TV/Trlr). The "sunny side" is always a few degrees higher.

I did get a bit weary of having to start a genset, get out the air compressor, etc., so I installed a 12V continuous duty 150psi compressor and a 2 gal. air tank with the hose connection mounted behind the dump valve door. So now, when we need air, I start the engine, turn on the compressor, wait a moment to build pressure, plug in the air hose, and fill 'er up.

I also have a TPMS sensor on every wheel on the ground with "display" on the dash so I can see the pressures while underway.

Cheers.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
When we travelled with a camper on the truck we had two flats on the Dempster Highway and one on the Campbell Highway, both rough gravel. The weight on the truck likely was a factor.

With the fifth wheel, we've had flats on the truck on the Alaska Highway (after driving through a construction zone) and on Highway 97 just north of Prince George.

DH checks the tires every time we stop, which is every couple of hours to stretch the legs. He just walks around looking at everything to ensure things are good. Every morning he checks tire pressure and fluid levels in the truck. Towing long distances with lots of elevation change is heavy duty work for the truck so he keeps a close eye on its status.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Graydust
Explorer
Explorer
Fanrgs, You traveled a lot of diff. roads. I don't think we will be traveling that many. We plan on staying on the major roads with the TT. Maybe park the TT and take the truck on others. Question, on which roads did you have the most flats? I am now rethinking and might take two gas cans. I do have all the tools for fixing a flat. I have one spare for each which are on rims and in good shape. I have no room for anymore. It is a short box. I think a slow drive is in order.
AKsilvereagle, Thanks for the information. I think two cans. All of this information is being put in a folder. I can't thank all of you enough. R&M

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Our truck has about a 200-mile range on gasoline (we don't have a diesel) when towing our TT. So, on our Alaska trip last summer, we topped off every 125 to 150 miles. We drove the Cassiar, Stewart, Alaska, South Klondike, Haines, Tok Cut-Off, Richardson, Edgerton, Glenn, Seward, Sterling, Parks, Talkeetna, Taylor, TOTW, and North Klondike highways without even a gallon of extra fuel. Never ran out or even got worried that we would. Of course. that meant we paid the local prices (very high to outrageous) in remote places like Chicken, Pink Mountain, and Muncho Lake.

We did not drive the McCarty Road in our truck. We took a shuttle van from Kenny Lake to Kennicott and the shuttle driver had a flat on the way up. But that was not our only experience with flats. If you get a screw through the sidewall of a trailer tire, plugging doesn't work--just ask me. And 8 plugs in one tire is usually a good sign that it needs to be replaced. So, we bought three tires along the way--one trailer (2012 w/ 4,000 miles at the start of out trip), two truck (2011 w/ 18,000 starting miles).

My advice--take good spares for each vehicle, a couple of cans of Fix-A-Flat, a tire plug tool and plugs, a small 12v compressor, leveling blocks to raise your trailer high enough to change a flat, and your tools.

I had all those items and they enabled me to get to places like the Whitehorse Walmart to buy tires instead of getting them in a place as expensive as the Dawson City NAPA store. And I used my tools a number of times making minor trailer repairs that I couldn't have made in the middle of nowhere without them.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
With all the far north travels I have made in the far north, whether in a car or RV, remote roads or main roads, even locally, I always made the habit of carrying spare fuel no matter travelling within Alaska or Canada for various reasons.

Over the years since I first driven the Alaska Highway in 1985, it is rare upon today's age that any given station at any one location will run out of fuel, but it can and does happen.

Noting the locations that do tend to run out of fuel supply at any given time are the more remote establishments and roadhouses, in comparison to the major towns.

As noted, the most vulnerable areas for a disruptive supply of fuel along the Alaska Highway should or when it happens is Northern BC and the Yukon Territory (cheaper priced fuel than Northern BC), as to my understanding the fuel supply is hauled in by truck via Alberta, as there are no 'fuel petro' refineries along Northern BC and the Yukon to my knowledge....I talked with two fuel haulers from Alberta while I was at Liard Hot Springs one day as they told me they make two runs to Dawson City every month during the summer.

In August 1991 when I passed thru Watson Lake in my 70 Thunderbird, there were many vehicles lined up at the gas pumps waiting for fuel to arrive as there was a disruption in fuel delivery for some reason, fortunate for me I was getting fuel at airports along the way as I could only run 100 octane fuel when I rebuilt the 429 engine in 1988 and kept it 11:1 high compression, as I was thinking I would have the potential availability problems getting that type of gas, and witnessed for myself seeing a major stop along the Alaska Highway temporary out of fuel, as I was the one on my way not delayed with a full tank and the 32 gallons of spare 100 octane fuel onhand for the longer stretches.

This was the only one time I have seen a 'major' town (or major stop) without immediate fuel availability upon my 17 one way trips from either direction along the entire Alaska Highway route, or a total of two times (Fort Simpson NWT the other place completely out of fuel) upon my 26 total crossings into Canada along other travels.

The more remote places within Canada or Alaska with fuel availability are the ones more subject to run out of fuel on short notice, or might close upon no notice or warning, so keep in mind not to always count on these places 100% for a fuel purchase, despite what the Milepost book shows for fuel stops as whatever edition one might have, the book certainly does not update itself.

Also, natural disasters, accidents, or infrastructure could come into play should another flood, extensive road closure, fuel tanker wrecks, major power failure, transmission grid post struck by lightning, generator failure (at remote places), refinery disasters, Alaska Pipeline shutdowns due to aging infrastructure, etc. ever happen to potentially slow, disrupt, or delay fuel delivery to many places along the Alaska Highway which is a lot of ground to cover.....in which all these scenarios listed above have happened in the past two years, however lucky enough with very little to no disruption in fuel supply which was the good news.

Another incident played out last year (Aug 2013) was when I pulled in to Border City Lodge 3 miles from the Canadian Border to top off my one tank before crossing into Canada (southbound), and finding out there was no fuel available with no warning in which they always sold fuel since 1989 when they opened for business, as the not so prepared northbound travelers got a rude awakening upon not carrying spare fuel thinking the place was still selling fuel while travelers bypassed purchasing fuel at Destruction Bay or Beaver Creek in order to save a few bucks (I can't blame them), while the rigs they were driving would not make it to Tok (90 miles away) with what fuel reserve they had left in their tank, relying on Border City Lodge for fuel.

My camper rig can carry 43 gallons of fuel (dual tanks) as I typically get mid to high 11 MPG range overall, however thru certain elements it significantly drops if the air is much thinner (low pressure), and if there is a lot of water grains in the air, and of course the favorite ol' driving thru the windy days and passes upon a headwind....I carry 10 gallons of spare fuel as I haven't had to use it while no emergency or disruptive fuel supplies came upon my way, the past 4 times I dispensed all my spare fuel in Fort Nelson (the most priced fuel in a 'major' town) before topping off my tank as I saved $12 to $19 depending in comparison of Fairbanks fuel price purchase of the spare fuel, which I will do when heading northbound as long as I hear of no word upon any incident heading towards the Watson Lake area where I plan to purchase upon my next fuel stop.

The one stretch I tend to keep a close eye for my rig more than any other area is the Whitehorse to Tok stretch upon most of the time I can easily make it without refueling in between, however when my altimeter gauge in Whitehorse reads over 3000ft. (as the true elevation is roughly 2200ft.) while it's raining, colder air, and windy at the same time, I will refill one of my empty gas cans in Whitehorse and carry 5 extra gallons for piece of mind, as I had to dispense the fuel only on one occasion in that situation (which I skipped Haines Junction, Destruction Bay, Beaver Creek and Border City Lodge fuel stations).

As others have noted, spare fuel along the Alaska Highway for most rigs is a non issue as I would say over 99 percent of the time there won't be an issue at all as everyone on this site had traveled extensively on it, however it is the far north and any of the examples I posted earlier that could go wrong might be a factor for fuel supply depending where one is at and if it plays out in any effect....I know these are the 'what if's' and all that, however if one's rig cannot conquer the greater distances between fuel stops compared to others, I would recommend carrying spare fuel a person feels comfortable with as I feel more confident carrying spare fuel in my travels in the far north, despite equipped with dual tanks - but that is just me.

It will be interesting to see how the majority of Alaska gets their supply of fuel as the largest fuel supplier at the North Pole refinery is closing and ceasing operations by June 1, as how it stands right now Alaska will be getting their fuel supply from Washington State, just another potential obstacle to face should a disruption in fuel supply occur, as the North Pole refinery tapping crude directly from the Alaska Pipeline will no longer be utilized.

The State of Alaska was attempting to negotiate keeping the refinery open while a prospect of new owners would takeover, however the latest news turned opposite direction as the state filed a lawsuit against the refinery for ground contamination against the current and former owners of the refinery, so look for higher fuel prices within Alaska as the best case scenario.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dust; I noticed you were from Allendale. Thats why I was half joking about bringing along an extra can so you can help me out. I actually live out towards Allendale with a GH phone and address.

Graydust
Explorer
Explorer
FreeLancing. We really live close. We might have to PM each other as to our trip as it gets closer. I hope things have improved since 1971. I know it has. SueT. thanks for the heads up at Pelly. We won't be going through Ross River due to the road not being to TT friendly. All of this is such a big help. Thanks

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Gas stations occasionally run out of fuel in Yukon. Not an issue in most communities as there might be another station but if you're counting on fuel in Ross River or Pelly it can be an issue.

One stop at Pelly the only station was out of diesel and they didn't know when the truck was next going to deliver. We had enough to make it to Carmacks to fill there. However, RVs were parked in the campground waiting for fuel delivery. Five gallons wouldn't have helped though, the next available fuel was quite a distance away.

Another time on a visit to Ross River in July 2008...

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I drove the hiway once in '67 where I made the whole trip filling up only at Texaco stations. There are plenty of places to fuel up along the way/

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dust; I am coming along about a week or so behind you. My truck only has a 24 gallon tank and gets 10-11 with my camper. I was going to and still may do this with my Harley it has a range of 200 miles. I had not planned on bringing along any spare gas but a 2 gallon for the generator. In my planning I have seen enough evidence that gas is availible every 100 miles or so. I would bring that extra 5 and maybe a tow strap in case I get in front of you and need some help. When we did this with my family in 1971 dad had a secound tank installed in the truck. I remember switching tanks on the fly. I also remember waiting in a small rodside stop for the tanker to come and refill the station supply, so we could proceed. I have not been back since looking forward to it.

Graydust
Explorer
Explorer
I will have to carry some gas for my small gen. I planned on buying two safety gas cans. Someone told me these really hold back the odor. I think after getting a lot of good answers here I can just buy one. I have a spare tire for truck and one for the TT. The truck has only 37000 miles on it and the trailer tires only have about 3000. For some reason my wife says I always have tools along and some parts along on a trip. Thanks again. If I don't need some of it maybe I can help someone else.

lonnie4801
Explorer
Explorer
Went in 2005, 2009, and 2013. In 2005 I carried 5 gal of gas with me from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and return. Dumped it in the tank when I got back to Fairbanks because I didn't want to carry it any more - no need to - plenty of places to fuel.

I do carry two pickup spares and a motorhome spare. Have used the pickup spares on every trip to Alaska but that is because I do a lot of off roading. Never had a problem with pickup tires on the main roads.

The only time I had trouble with the motorhome tires, to and from Alaska, was in 2009 when I threw rubber off one between Anchorage and Seward. Glad I had it. Road Side Service paid to have a service truck come out and change it for me. Don't know how long I would have been out of service, and the cost, without the spare. Also used it one time in 2008 in California.

Now I never leave home without the wife and spare tires.

But back to your question. In my opinion - Carry extra gas if it makes you feel safer and you can put up with the odor, BUT IT IS NOT NECESSARY.
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2015 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

Have driven or camped in 49 states. Have camped in all Provinces in Canada.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I was last up the alcan about 5 years ago. So my info is dated. But If memory serves, I don't thhink there is any stretch longer than 100 miles for fuel. Getting fuel is not the problem, getting service could be.

The Alcan is not a wagon trail it is 2 lane black top, I have seen much worse in the lower 48.

Rather than extra gas, I would be much more concerned with tires, belts and hoses,
I would take tools to fix stuff, make sure tires etc are in good shape, and bring duct tape.

If a radiator hose blows you can duct tape it, I would bring extra hose clamps, some bailing wire that sort of thing.

As in if something goes south you have enough stuff to jerry rig things together
for a 100 miles or so

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
With over a 300 mile range with your truck, there is no reason to carry extra fuel for any of the main roads. Just drive on the upper half of your tank and fill up when you need to do so.

You will find two or three stretches of road where fuel may be about 110 miles apart. Teslin up to Jakes Corner comes to mind, with both being good stops for fuel and good meals at the restaurants if you are hungry. There are a couple more but with your truck range, nothing to be concerned with. Take a look at the "sticky" at the top of the Canada/Alaska section which I maintain and you can see the distances between stations. While some close, others may open. For a couple of our trips Pink Mountain was closed but the last trip, 2011, both sides of the road were back in business.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".