cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISB Sola Basic advice?

Lou_Morris
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in buying a Sola Basic voltage regulator for our Class C 30 AMP RV, but have a question about the wiring. I'm looking for one I don't have to hard wire.

I'm in Mexico (Sayulita) now. I've been through the various threads about this topic, and I've seen recommendations for the the Sola Basic 4000. But I still am not clear about whether this unit requires hard wiring? It is not clear from the images. Some have mentioned creating their own in/out plugs, but I'd like to avoid that.

I'm hoping to find a portable unit that I can simply plug my surge protector into the IN port (I have a Progressive Industries portable) and then my 30AMP RV cable into the OUT port. The surge protector would then plug into the pedestal.

I've browsed MercadoLibre and seen the 4000 there, and several other Sola Basic models available as well. Some model images show in/out ports to plug into, others (like the 4000) do not.

So, any Sola Basic 4000 users out there who can advise? Is this unit portable in this way, or does it require hard wiring? Are there other Sola Basic units that are portable and would serve our 30AM needs?
'07 Winne View
Jetta TDI
49 REPLIES 49

Talleyho69
We sold our Sola Basic to Lou Morris in Patzcuaro yesterday. When he plugged it in, his voltage went from 98 to 123. He was a happy guy!!!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Alison and Neil wrote:
What did you do with the ground wires?
I bought one on the return but haven't wired it yet

Do not cut the green just wire it right through, cut the White, use a 3rd piece of white, using a murette to go into the unit, if the termination is too tight to allow for 2 pieces of white to be tied into it. I recommend making the female end only 1 or 2 feet long so you have enough length on the male end to reach the pedestal and still put the unit under your rig so it does not get wet..

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I found that the Sola Basic would increase voltage when starting the air conditioner--before the fan was "up to speed". Then I went and ruined that with the Microair Easy Start add on.

I do use a Surge device--but not from Progressive. (TY Mex)
t
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Talleyho69
Yes, we experienced the same, but still suggest that a surge protector would be a good idea.
The delay with the Sola Basic is visible. Often our voltage would be about 105, I'd turn on the electric water heater, and in a couple of seconds see the voltage rise to 120. Magic!!!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Tequila, Sola basic is not a replacement for surge protector. Should have both.

It can be a replacement for a voltage protector which is not the same as a surge protector. That prevents too high or too low voltage from getting through. The sola Basic will only produce output voltage with a safe range, so it essentially does the same thing. I have both and my voltage protector has not operated once while I have had the sola basic hooked up and I have had it hooked up to some pretty shitty pedestals.

Talleyho69
Very true. The Sola Basic takes a couple of seconds. We ran a Progressive Industries EMS unit that was instantaneous and the Sola Basic. Worked beautifully!

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tequila, Sola basic is not a replacement for surge protector. Should have both.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Every city in Mexico has a privately owned repair shop that specialized in motors for CONGLEADORES COMERCIALES Y POZOS (Freezers and Wells). They all have voltage conditioners of various makes and models. Their "usual" inventory is for 20 amperes 127 vac which is the CFE national standard NOM for Mexico. I would not buy Chinese. Most of the better made in Mexico models have thick circuit boards, heavy top soldered beads on the power circuits, and decent quality components. The 20 ampere units I have are wired with three prong plugs and a single 120vac grounded receptacle. Boosting is staged. These shops are listed in the telephone directory yellow pages seccion amarilla, and any electrical hardware store can steer you to one.

I brought down a 5Kw Sola line tamer that is ferroresonant and bucks or boosts from 72 to 160 volts linerarly. No steps. You do not want to know what this thing eats just sitting there idling. It weighs >200lbs.

Alison_and_Neil
Explorer
Explorer
What did you do with the ground wires?
I bought one on the return but haven't wired it yet

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious to see if anyone has used the Nippon unit in mexico. It does look neater, the disadvantage is that it probably cannot be locked if you have to leave it under your rig.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the pictures.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to recommend them to caravan participants next season and try to source a supplier close to the crossing points. They are actually cheaper than buying a surge guard or progressive industries voltage protector and you at least get power a lot more often. We will tell people to bring along a 25 ft 30 amp extension to butcher. The 4KV version fits nicely into a milk crate. You can also use 2 padlocks to fasten a cable between the mounting holes and somewhere on your RV. I just push mine underneath in the crate to protect against rain or dew and put it on the RV floor for transit.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
About 50/60 Hz and "motors".
Though not for voltage regulation, but Nippon ATVR-5000 has a motor - cooling fan at the back where it says "Fan starts at 60C".

Either it works on both 50 and 60, or it is a DC motor like in computers. Or this particular autoformer for "Americas" is all 60 Hz.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

They don't convert hertz. It just means it will work with either 60 or 50 hertz.

This has been my understanding as well.

It's still strange that Nippon America says 110/220V. I'm not surprised with Regvolt, those could write anything. But NA is a Japanese brand marketed for "Americas", not for Europe where they have 220V SINGLE phase, or for Japan where they have 100V.

Possible inaccuracy? like we call grid voltage "110V" or "120V" (and I swear that saw nameplates with either number).

Of all the bunch, only Ecowise promises steady "115V". Sola is different as it boosts in steps.