Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jackson, Ca to 101

FossilHound
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

We are currently in Jackson, California and are considering a trip along Highway 101 into Oregon. We are thinking of travelling up to Napa and then northward towards Willits and points north. Should I be concerned about the road and ability to get fuel? We have a 42' Dynasty and are towing a Honda CRV.

Thanks
Fossilhound
2004 42' Dynasty
12 REPLIES 12

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hwy 101 from Petaluma to Santa Rosa is very slow going most of the time. Stop and go with a trailer is not going to be fun. Going into Napa is easiest from the east by using Hwy 12 that starts around Lockwood and goes through Lodi (excellent wineries in this area that are as good as anything in Napa.

From Napa you can go north on Hwy 29 through St. Helena and Calistoga and then over to Hwy 101 at Geyserville. You get to hit the wineries while missing most of the Hwy 101 traffic.

FossilHound
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the information.
Fossilhound
2004 42' Dynasty

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel in Ukiah, CA easy in and out north of town center on 101. about 270 mi to Brookings and diesel at Fred Meyer. Also diesel at Fred Meyer in Florence about 400mi, both of which should be in range of your coach. I find Florence prices slightly lower than Brookings.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Napa Valley Expo Park

Stayed here a few times as it is a good base for visiting the area.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

elkhorn98
Explorer
Explorer
I think you can stay at the fairgrounds in napa or calistoga. Nothing fancy but the locations are in napa valley.
Elkhorn98
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison w/45 gal Transfer Flow Tank
RBW X16 Slider, Yamaha EF 2400iS
2007 Springdale 245 5th Wheel - E-Z Flex HD Suspension & Mobile Outfitters Shock Kit Upgrades
with Firestone Transforce Ht Lt 2357515 tires

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
othertonka wrote:
korbe wrote:
If we don't have a specific reason to just skirt the Bay Area, we will head up I-5 a bit and take Hwy 20 over to Hwy 101. This route misses much of the congestion. You shouldn't have any issues with finding fuel. Just don't think that maybe the next town will have cheaper prices - they won't.

This is the way I would go also. From Jackson take hwy 88 to highway 12,just passed Lockford, and then go over to I 5, north on I 5 to Williams and catch hwy 20 over to 101. fuel at hwy 12 and I 5. There is diesel at safeway in Willits.

Yep, this is a good route. All good road.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

FossilHound
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information, now we just need to decide where to stay in the Napa Valley for a few days.
Fossilhound
2004 42' Dynasty

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
Great selection of fuel stops at the corner of I-5 and the 12. FlyingJ, a really nice 76 with access I prefer, and a few other. From there you will have no trouble getting North of San Fran with access to big rig fuel stops. Taking the rig through Wine Country Napa is a bit problematic as most wineries do not have RV parking and access to many is along long narrow roads. I'd suggest basecamping in Vacaville and taking the car on a day trip though Napa. We've stayed at Vineyard RV in Vacaville a few times (friends live in the area) and would recommend it as a base.
Happy Trails.

Vacaville is too far to use a base for the Napa Valley especially with the construction on Hwy 12 between I-80 and Napa. There is an RV park in Napa that would work well, Napa Valley Expo which has good reviews.
As far as 101 North to Oregon, you will have no issues with the route or the ability to get fuel.
2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
20 from I5 to US101 and north on up to Oregon is a nice drive,good road,not freeway,but easily doable with any RV.We have done it several times pulling our 35' fifth wheel. It does get a little congested going through downtown Willits.
Diesel is available at 20 and I5 and just west of Upper Lake and several other spots along the way.
You will be going along the north end of Clear Lake,nice drive.
Enjoy the trip.Good road all the way to OR and WA.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
If we don't have a specific reason to just skirt the Bay Area, we will head up I-5 a bit and take Hwy 20 over to Hwy 101. This route misses much of the congestion. You shouldn't have any issues with finding fuel. Just don't think that maybe the next town will have cheaper prices - they won't.

This is the way I would go also. From Jackson take hwy 88 to highway 12,just passed Lockford, and then go over to I 5, north on I 5 to Williams and catch hwy 20 over to 101. fuel at hwy 12 and I 5. There is diesel at safeway in Willits.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Great selection of fuel stops at the corner of I-5 and the 12. FlyingJ, a really nice 76 with access I prefer, and a few other. From there you will have no trouble getting North of San Fran with access to big rig fuel stops. Taking the rig through Wine Country Napa is a bit problematic as most wineries do not have RV parking and access to many is along long narrow roads. I'd suggest basecamping in Vacaville and taking the car on a day trip though Napa. We've stayed at Vineyard RV in Vacaville a few times (friends live in the area) and would recommend it as a base.
Happy Trails.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer