cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Las Vegas, MD, NJ, Niagara Falls ON, SD

ADOR
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there folks. We will be leaving this Saturday for our Family Summer Road Trip. Seeking advise from all of you who are familiar with, or have travelled along the destinations we will be heading to.

In a nutshell, we have 21 days for this trip (that is all what we have been approved for at work). I will be doing all the driving. I know that it is a LOT of driving. But we will try to enjoy each day of the trip. So, here is where we will be heading. I have used mapquest to have an idea on the routes to take. We will also be using our GPS.

However, I would like to seek your suggestions to avoid major city traffic (any bypass freeways), avoid current major road constructions and lastly, to avoid (if possible) steep mountain passes.

Here are our Stops where we have campground reservations. Any sceneries along the way will be a bonus. We will be coming from Las Vegas, NV. MapQuest gave me the following major freeways:

1. Cherry Hill Park (College Park, MD)

15 North
93 South
40 East (Passing through Phoenix, AZ, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Memphis/Nashville)
24 East (Passing through Knoxville/Chattanooga)
40 East
81 North
66 East
495 North
US 1 South

2. From MD TO: (Liberty Harbor RV (Jersey City, NJ)

95 North
295 North
78 East

3. From NJ(TO: Niagara Falls, ON)

"Will follow GPS"

4. From ON TO: (Mt. Rushmore, SD)

"Will follow GPS. Any suggestions on major freeways to take"?

Thank you for your suggestions.
15 REPLIES 15

ADOR
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our 4th day of our road trip. About 600 miles to go towards our first stop in MD. Drove through Memphis and Nashville today. Memphis was OK, until we hit the city. Major construction foing on. Wasn't too bad. Only few minutes delay. Nashville traffic was moving. But two lane road and hundreds of trucks gave me white knuckles. Spending the night at a rest stop past Nashville, heading to Knoxsville. Road trip is tiring, but fun. Experience is priceless., especially with the family.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
For Liberty Harbor, your most direct route will be coming North on the NJ Turnpike. You'll want Exit 14C. Here are the directions from the Liberty Harbor website.

Follow signs for I-95/NJ Turnpike North. Merge onto I-78 East via Exit 14 towards Jersey City/Columbus Drive. After paying the toll stay drive straight until you come to the first stoplight. After the first stoplight begin to merge to the farthest right lane. At the last stop light, make a right onto Marin Blvd. Follow this road until it ends; the office is on the right.

The last stoplight is right before the toll booth for the Holland Tunnel. Make the right turn and continue down Marin Blvd. When you see a boat right in front of you, the building on your right is the campground office.

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
I40 to I81 makes sense. The only I270 I know of runs from Frederick, MD to I495, the Wash DC beltway. Stay safe.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

ADOR
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our second day of our trip. I originally planned to drive at least 500 miles per day. Yesterday, I only drove 300 miles. So tired from 5 straight days ow work. Today, only drove 450 miles. In have a lot of catching up to do tomorrow. Will continue on 40 East.
Mapquest said to take 81 North. My GPS said to take 270 East. Any idea which better route to take?

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
"...40 East (Passing through Phoenix, AZ, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Memphis/Nashville)..."

FYI, I-40 does not go through Phoenix, AZ, so no need to worry about traffic there.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
RE: 95 north
295 north
78 east
Your leg from MD to Jersey City NJ

Also something to consider...I-295 ends in the Trenton area, near Princeton. It doesn't go all the way up to I-78. You could take US 206 from Princeton up to I-287 and then on to I-78 then east in to JC, or just take I-287 east to Staten Island and then north to JC.

You could also continue north on US 1 (Route "root" 1 as the locals call it) and take any number of different ways over to Jersey City. Or you could get off I-295 near Bordentown and take I-195 over to the NJ Turnpike and take that north to the Turnpike Ext. to Jersey City. Any way you go, you're going to be in one of the most congested areas of the country, there's just no easy way around/through it.

Sidebar - Old stomping grounds. Though it's been a while! Left the congestion of the east coast for the "open spaces" of Colorado. Little did I know...!

What was your Senior Thesis on - should have known. With such good directions and commentary. Get off on I-195 to the turn pike - Rt ! will Kill You. JMHO
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
RE: 95 north
295 north
78 east
Your leg from MD to Jersey City NJ

Also something to consider...I-295 ends in the Trenton area, near Princeton. It doesn't go all the way up to I-78. You could take US 206 from Princeton up to I-287 and then on to I-78 then east in to JC, or just take I-287 east to Staten Island and then north to JC.

You could also continue north on US 1 (Route "root" 1 as the locals call it) and take any number of different ways over to Jersey City. Or you could get off I-295 near Bordentown and take I-195 over to the NJ Turnpike and take that north to the Turnpike Ext. to Jersey City. Any way you go, you're going to be in one of the most congested areas of the country, there's just no easy way around/through it.

Sidebar - Old stomping grounds. Though it's been a while! Left the congestion of the east coast for the "open spaces" of Colorado. Little did I know...!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

ADOR
Explorer
Explorer
I am on my way to work now. Really tired preparing for the trip. We sold our Travel Trailer February this year. We picked up a new 2015 Class C in March. About 3,800 miles now. Made some upgrades to prepare for the trip. Cant leave Friday after work. I work 3PM to 11:30 PM shift at the hospital. Leaving Vegas Saturday early morning.

I will read all of the responses above when I get home tonigh. Lot of great suggestions. Keep them coming. Thanks again.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
ADOR wrote:
Hi there folks. We will be leaving this Saturday for our Family Summer Road Trip. Seeking advise from all of you who are familiar with, or have travelled along the destinations we will be heading to.

Would it be Possible to get out after work on Friday - that will be 6-8 hours that will be hard to find on the last days of the trip?

In a nutshell, we have 21 days for this trip (that is all what we have been approved for at work). I will be doing all the driving. I know that it is a LOT of driving. But we will try to enjoy each day of the trip. So, here is where we will be heading. I have used mapquest to have an idea on the routes to take. We will also be using our GPS.

Will you be in the Hummer with the TT? If so that might allow you to make some really good time. Note that cities on the east side of the Mississippi will be a headache after 2;30 till 7:00 and in the mornings from 6:30 till 9:30 so avoid if at all possible. also look at the State Dot info for road construction, they can be a big help, many have cameras to let you see the issues in front of you.

However, I would like to seek your suggestions to avoid major city traffic (any bypass freeways), avoid current major road constructions and lastly, to avoid (if possible) steep mountain passes.

Here are our Stops where we have campground reservations. Any sceneries along the way will be a bonus. We will be coming from Las Vegas, NV. MapQuest gave me the following major freeways:

1. Cherry Hill Park (College Park, MD)

15 North
93 South
40 East (Passing through Phoenix, AZ, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Memphis/Nashville)
24 East (Passing through Knoxville/Chattanooga)
40 East
81 North
66 East NOTE HERE THIS IS JAMMED FOR A FOUR HOUR PERIOD IN THE AM AND THE PM
495 North DITTO ABOVE
US 1 South

2. From MD TO: (Liberty Harbor RV (Jersey City, NJ)

95 North PLEASE TRY TO AVOID THE TRAFFIC AND LOOK AT RT 301 THROUGH ANNAPOLIS EXCEPT IN THE AFTERNOON
295 North
78 East

3. From NJ(TO: Niagara Falls, ON) I ALWAYS TRY TO ESCAPE THE NYC AREA UNDER COVER OF DARKNESS. Traffic is everywhere and just timing the escape is critical to make this easy,

"Will follow GPS"

4. From ON TO: (Mt. Rushmore, SD)

"Will follow GPS. Any suggestions on major freeways to take"?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Just one more piece of bad info - they are working on the subway and that may effect your plans - call Cherry Creek for info

Funny how you come here and we go West,

DC and NYC are great but you will need a lot of energy to survie both in the heat of the Summer - if you ever return it is sooooo much better in the Fall.

BOL, if I can be more specific on the help just ask,

Busskipper

ON EDIT * might be worth while to look into getting an EASY PASS - could save hours waiting to pay tolls. PA easy Pass info check with them maybe they could mail it to you at Cherry Creek you will need it upstream from DC and it could save you HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
For the last leg (Niagara Falls to Mt Rushmore), I would probably go across Ontario to Port Huron, then across the ferry (SS Badger) from Ludington to Manitowoc and on from there.

The Lake Michigan ferries are not cheap. see some Canada and go north around Lake Huron and come back into the US at Sault Ste mary and cross the UP of Mich on US 2.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the last leg (Niagara Falls to Mt Rushmore), I would probably go across Ontario to Port Huron, then across the ferry (SS Badger) from Ludington to Manitowoc and on from there.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
In NY I'd take
I86
I390
I90

ADOR
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips/reminders folks. Any other areas or places I need to avoid? Better routes than what malquest gave me?

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
When you travel from College Park north YOU CANNOT go thru any tunnels in Baltimore with propane. You must go around the city by using the Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695 toward the east) (toll) or I-695 West (no toll but longer).
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy