cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lemhi Pass, Idaho

mlmurrah
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a Lewis and Clark trail RV trip. I'd like to do Lemhi Pass, but You Tube videos show an unpaved road with narrow, shelf sections. We do not have a toad for our Winnebago View like the Jeep Wrangler we towed with our former rig. It does not appear to be a good idea to take the View that way. Looks like our only choice is to stay in Butte and rent an SUV for a day trip. But it seems like it would be a pretty long day. Can anyone provide us with advice on this? Is Butte the closest place to rent a car or even an offroad vehicle like a Polaris RZR?
Lee, KY8T
Rochester Hills, MI and Riverside, TX
8 REPLIES 8

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how the trip is. I wanted to do it with our dually while leaving our FW at a nearby BLM campground, but hubby didn't think the road was wide enough in some spots for the truck. Your first hand experience will provide great information.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hamilton, MT is closer than Butte and has an Enterprise
rental. US 93 down to Salmon covers a good portion and an important section of the Lewis and Clark trail.
If you plan on doing Lolo pass you'll be right on track after Lemhi pass.
Wife and I did Lemhi 2 years ago in the pickup,a pleasant drive.
Got to straddle the head waters of the Missouri.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
My impression from videos and comments is that driving up the Montana side is easier than the Idaho. It's not as steep, and relatively open, basically a ranch road that climbs. Still only you can judge whats safe for your RV.

I haven't driven it. Last time through the area I camped near Salmon (BLM) and crossed over Lost Trail Pass. This was early June, and we actually got snow flurries at the top. I checked out the road to the east that goes past a battlefield memorial site, but decided I didn't have time to go all the way.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
What about Dillon, MT? A little further than Salmon, but closer than Butte.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mlmurrah
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the Wild Side web site, but I see no mention of rentals, only sales. Even if I could rent an ATV, there are probably state regulations that would prevent me from driving it.
Lee, KY8T

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Try Wild Side Sports in Salmon

mlmurrah
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Try Salmon, Idaho. That's closer than Butte.

I looked at Salmon but did not see any car rentals.
Lee, KY8T

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Try Salmon, Idaho. That's closer than Butte.