cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LI Southbound 95 or 81?

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to hit up either Fredericksburg or Emporia for the 1st leg of two days going to Myrtle SC. Ive done the 95 boogy many times, but not recently and getting of of LI is always a challenge. Other challenges are driving smack into traffic jams around Baltimore and DC. When its moving Ive made Emporia in 10 hours and when its not Fredericksburg in the same time. Thoughts, any new construction what to avoid. Looking to shove off around 4 am on a weekday morning before Easter. That puts me into NJ around 6 ish.

Thanks for the input.

Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker
12 REPLIES 12

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just leave at night or very early morning and take the shortest route.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I did 81 once. 495 >BQE> Through Staten Island> Gothels Bridge hen north to pick up 78 west to 81. The part that killed us was getting off of LI. We used to be able to leave 5 am ish but now we will try 4 am ish. I ran into a Moho owner who leaves here 3 am but he also goes north 495>Cross Bronx and over the GW. That route seems counter intuitive to me to go that far north to go south. We are going, unless Im convinced otherwise to 495/BQE/Gothels to 287> 78 West to 81. Ive been stuck in more traffic jams on 95 than I care to admit. The issue is if 95 is moving without issues it is faster but that seems to be a flip of the coin until south of DC.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty good replies here, but I'm moving this to Roads and Routes to solicit more.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
According to INRIX Roadway Analytics, Washington D.C. I-95 south, exit 133A to the Fairfax County Parkway, Virginia is the #1 most congested highway in the country.

Here's the story.

One bad wreck on I-95 will eat up much more time than a secondary road.

EXIT 133 IS WHERE 17 comes into 95 at fredericksburg. 81 and 17 avoids a bunch of problems.
bumpy

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
According to INRIX Roadway Analytics, Washington D.C. I-95 south, exit 133A to the Fairfax County Parkway, Virginia is the #1 most congested highway in the country.

Here's the story.

One bad wreck on I-95 will eat up much more time than a secondary road.
Jerry & Jeanne

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
JMHO _TappanZee to GSP to NJP to 95. Take 695 around Baltimore using Key Bridge or the norther route (think that is called โ€œwestโ€). Avoid any perceived short cuts unless you donโ€™t mind stopping for many traffic signals. I tried it once going to Fredrickburg VA. It was a route through Delaware, 13 i think and it was the worst choice i made. Sure its laid back and some of it is scenic but not very efficient if you are trying to keep to a schedule for your vacation. Might be good for some but from now on it is 95, 83, or 81 to the south out of the northeast.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
any route other than I-95 in balt/wash area, ok after fredricksburg. 81 to 17 works.
bumpy

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
I travel 81 from western NC to Pa a few times a year for the last 30yrs. It's a nice road overall and the same for 77 and 26. A lot more scenic and rural than 95.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
... and getting of of LI is always a challenge.

4am to get through the Cross Bronx (always a joy) and over the GW sounds about right. Depends how far from the TNB you are. What town on Long Island?

You don't BQE :E to Verrazano do you?

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Having made countless trips from various locations in eastern PA. to FL. all I can say is that 81-77-26 is the only way we go. In my situation, Mapquest claims that it takes an additional hour and 30 miles VS. I-95. Given the ability to avoid 95, as it travels through hundreds of miles of some of the busiest, most crowded parts of the country, I doubt that you could make up that hour, unless you rolled through in the middle of the night. !-81 down the Shenendoah Valley of VA. can be downright relaxing, compared to I-95.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Another route is I-95 south over the Delaware Mem. Bridge, then US40 to US301. US301 is the old Florida route (pre I-95) from the northeast.

It's a typical old US route; stretches of 65 MPH 4 lane interspersed with towns and shopping centers. I like it because it breaks up the boredom.
Jerry & Jeanne

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Did you ever try 1 to 13 and then 17 ?. From long island 81 would seem way out of the way.