cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licence Plates

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
On another thread there is a discussion about carrying a current and original copy of the vehicle registration.

I would also like to advise our members that it is a requirement that the Licence Plates normally attached Front and Rear in Provinces and States that issue two plates must not be altered while being driven in Mexico.

I frequently observe , mostly Canadian Vehicles whose owners think that it is alright to remove the Proper plate and substitute a Copy .

This practice stems from a fear that their Legal Plates will be removed and held by the Police in the event of a Parking violation.

Yes this used to happen ...I had The misfortune to park in a No Estacionarse once myself. I got the Plate back when I paid the Fine of 67 Pesos!

The problem with doing this switcheroo of The legal Plate leaves You with A couple of legal issues!

First it is illegal to operate your vehicle without a valid plate even in Mexico.

Second if Your vehicle is involved in an accident You may find Yourself with a serious problem proving ownership. This would be a problem if the vehicle is stolen as well although I doubt even the dumbest thief would drive around with the proper plate.

Third You may invalidate your Insurance , so check with them to see what they have to say about swapping plates!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD
10 REPLIES 10

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I meant better to take the plate :). They even had checkpoints set up in Hidalgo County until complaints were filed and they took them down. Gotta love Texas, and I do but there are some odd things that go on there!

Monterrey now has cameras at all major intersections. You can't escape.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
We take the plate with the stickers off and place the front plate on the rear, I then install a plate with some logo on the front space where the plate should be, the plate with the stickers goes under the drivers seat, change back yust before crossing the border going north, never had a problem never had vehicle towed or a ticket no mordidas either.

I like briansue's idea of the special screws, going to check them out.

navegator

That is what I do.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
We take the plate with the stickers off and place the front plate on the rear, I then install a plate with some logo on the front space where the plate should be, the plate with the stickers goes under the drivers seat, change back yust before crossing the border going north, never had a problem never had vehicle towed or a ticket no mordidas either.

navegator

That is what I do.

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
The reverse is now true in Texas. If you have Mexican plates and received a ticket via camera or by a LEO and a warrant has been issued, they are now hunting us down. They put notices in the paper here in Monterrey advising people who may have an outstanding violation, that if they don't pay up they will be arrested.

I like taking the plate better 🙂

Chris, Don't try driving around McAllen without any license plate, that'll attract every LEO in sight (and probably the SWAT):B.

Or are you saying that you wish they'd just take the plate like in Mexico?:?
Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
The reverse is now true in Texas. If you have Mexican plates and received a ticket via camera or by a LEO and a warrant has been issued, they are now hunting us down. They put notices in the paper here in Monterrey advising people who may have an outstanding violation, that if they don't pay up they will be arrested.

I like taking the plate better 🙂
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
Texas plates don't have any stickers. The sticker is on the front windshield, so they'd have a problem getting that. The front and back plates are identical so I just take the front one off and put it in a safe place. If they take the back one, I have a spare. Plus I have vanity plates but still have the original number plates. Finally, I also use the security screws. None of this was planned for Mexico, it just kind of happened 🙂

I did have a cop try to get my drivers license once, but I wouldn't give it to him. He wasn't wearing any kind of badge and wouldn't show me his ID, so I told him that I'd give him mine if he gave me his first! We settled for me showing him my ID (but not touching it), he checked the expiration date and went on his way.
Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown

navegator
Explorer
Explorer

navegator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
An actual rather than a theoretical problem...

Cop sees infraccion de estacionamiento. Finds plates missing, paper copy, or not removable because of special screws.

Cops gets on his cell phone, calls for "la grua" towtruck, your vehicle goes to the corralon, the cop collects a few hundred pesos "recompensa" from the corralon and tow truck driver and you are faced with (with an automatic transmission) a nightmare if they jimmied the linkage getting the vehicle out of park. NO they don't lift the rear! No way to guarantee the steering will stay straight.

From The School Of The Hardest Knocks...

clarlk
Explorer
Explorer
even here in Mazatlan , they do not take your plates anymore, unpaid tickets are in the system and they will not renew you tabs here without all fines being paid..

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Most auto parts stores will have special license plate screws that require a special tool to remove them - and they come with the tool. It would be very unlikely that the police or thieves would have the necessary tool to remove your plates. I have been using those screws for years on all vehicles. We also almost always park in a pay lot in town which provides better security and legal parking for a minimal amount.