cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Living in Mexico on a tourist Visa. Legal or Illegal?

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting.

Living In Mexico On A Tourist Visa
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
17 REPLIES 17

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Chris. That video was very informative.

I'd heard of this "perpetual tourist visa" happening many years ago in Mexico (more than 20 years ago) when I was in Campeche. I asked a friend of mine, who was Minister of Justice for Campeche State about it, but the PRI wasn't interested in pursuing the weakness in the migracion (system) back then.

This same side-stepping of the rules was wide-spread across the Republics down the Isthmus. The tourist visa rules started changing in Republics like Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and El Salvador around 2000 / 2001, making it difficult for tourist visa "border hopping" to renew their 90 days back and forth to occur, thereby chasing out a certain cohort of "tourist". I think that Panama was more strict in "those days" about border hopping, if I recall.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I posted it because it helps to clarify some misconceptions many people have about Mexico and how rules can easily be circumvented.

Things are changing, more than I would like with the current government, but some of the changes are for the better.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Talleyho69
He sure took a long time to not say much.

It was interesting though.