cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maryland to Elkhart

rz
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I have to pick the RV up from the factory in Elkhart Indiana. I would like to take my time coming back and am looking for ideas on places to go and things to see on my road trip. I will be traveling through PA, Ohio, and of course Indiana. Had the fiberglass roof replaced so looking to spend sometime shaking the bugs out before I winterize it.
10 REPLIES 10

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped at the 9/11 Memorial in Shanksville- but it might be closed due to the shutdown. Very moving. Very glad that we made it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

rz
Explorer
Explorer
What's the weather like in IN the end of October first of November? I plan on seeing the RV museum, and think I will follow some of the recommendations and explore the local area. First I am going to see if I can find a campground open. Thanks for all the tips.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Two things IMO.make sure you have plenty of diesel before entering IN.
There diesel prices are horrible .
Go to the RV. hall of fame. Was there this summer, well worth it.
Oh. Take the factory tour.

Bethany_Carolin
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty to do in Elkhart. Visit the Ruthmere House & Beardsley House on Beardsley Street. Travel down main street & visit the Art Museum & take a good look @ the restored Lerner Theatre. Visit the RV Museum--just a wonderful, informative museum filled with vintage campers. They also have a library & printer available. El Camino restaurant on highway 6 has very good Mexican food. Several nice antique malls around the city. And of course you're only about half hour from Notre Dame. Go Irish!

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have plenty to do just in Elkhart area. We've already been there twice in the last 5 years.

We thought we were going from Baltimore to IN to pick up our new RV in Nov. But DH's company changed that this week and we don't know where we're heading next.

When I was looking for RV Parks to overnight, nothing was open Year Round in PA or northern OH. So I was planning on the middle of Ohio route until we hit I-77 and then north to Akron. 3 years ago, we went through the NFL Hall of Fame Museum. DH loved it and I did enjoy the history, even though I don't watch Football.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an automotive interest there is the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, Indiana and Gilmore Car Museum a short drive north near Kalamazoo Michigan.

http://www.studebakermuseum.org/
http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

Gilmore Car Museum is the largest of the two.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
I'm sure you are looking at maps. Since you are not in a hurry look at bringing Rt 6 as far east as you want too then head south toward MD. It will help you avoid a lot of tolls.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

dennisgt60
Explorer
Explorer
Elkhart, IN. is home to the RV Hall of Fame. Pokagon State Park is located near Angola, IN. If you're into vintage cars, Auburn, IN., is home to the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum. South Bend, IN., is home to Notre Dame and the Studebaker Museum. Outlet mall in Fremont, IN.

Those are just a few points of interest in close proximity to Elkhart.

Enjoy your trip and welcome to Indiana.
2012 F-250 XLT, 6.2L, 4x4, CC, Standard Bed, 10,000lb. GVWR, 3.73 Axle.
Truck CAT Wt. 7,120 lbs.
Stated payload max. 2,881 lbs.
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8282ws.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Elkhart itself is in Amish territory, especially just the east.

http://www.shipshewana.com/

Terrain wise, northern Indiana (and Ohio) is flat, with most of the scenic stuff being on the northern Ohio lake shore. Ohio gets hillier south and east of Columbus.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall we stopped in Berlin, OH. The county around Berlin is full of Amish and offers plenty of places to visit. We camped at Scenic Hills RV Park just outside of Berlin. Nice place.

http://www.scenichillsrvpark.com/
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator