cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Memphis to Paducah KY

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Best route from Memphis area (maybe a little before or after) to Paducah KY pulling a 38 ft. 5th wheel trailer in mid to late April?
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.
10 REPLIES 10

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I-55 crosses the river at W Memphis, AR into Memphis, TN and goes south into Mississippi. I-55 North at W Memphis, AR heads toward Missouri, and, as mentioned has a spur I-155 crossing the Miss River to Dyersburg - divided 4 lane limited access ala interstate. Other option is to cross the river on I-40 into Memphis, and take US-51 north to Dyersburg. It is mostly divided 4-lane, but not limited access.

Also mentioned was US-45, again mostly divided 4 lane, but NOT limited access. You can take I-40 east from Memphis and pick up US-45 in Jackson, TN and head north.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
DO NOT USE US62 ACROSS THE RIVERS AT CAIRO!!! And that is shouting for a reason! I would not even walk across those bridges!

Hehe. Noel, I took those bridges on the way to Branson one year. The bridge over the Ohio river was narrow, but not too bad. However, the bridge over the Mississippi was downright SCARY, especially when you have an 18 wheeler coming at you. Our mirrors could not have missed each other by no more than a couple inches. Since then I go thru Cairo and pick up I-55.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
John wrote:
I looked at going north a few miles after Memphis (155 or 55?) that looked pretty direct and an easy drive.

You are on the right track.

Padredw wrote:
Unless you are specifically going to Memphis, I would take I-55 at West Memphis, Arkansas. . .You could take I-155 over to Dyersburg, Tennessee, then I-69 up to US 51 at Union City, TN to connect with the Purchase Parkway in Kentucky/US 45 on to Paducah.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Do you have any problem with two-lane roads?? You can get there all four-lane, but its long-way around. but like I said, forget the bridges at Cairo.

No issues with two lane roads. I just looked at the Cairo bridge on Google Earth as a driver and I know my DW will have a difficult time crossing it.

I looked at going north a few miles after Memphis (155 or 55?) that looked pretty direct and an easy drive.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We go north(from MS coastal area) on US 45 to Paducah and it's a good road. It's mostly 4 lane divided with just a few 2 lane areas, but not much traffic, so easy traveling.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take either I-55 or US51 to Dyersburg. Take US 51 around Dyersburg & Union City, and up to Fulton, KY. Take Purchase Parkway (mostly re-labelled as I-69) to I-24 and Paducah.

You can cut off a lot of miles by getting off Purchase Parkway in Mayfield, KY and pick up US45 straight into Paducah. It's a perfectly good road.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
OK in light of post just before mine, the I-155 route seems even a better choice.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any problem with two-lane roads?? You can get there all four-lane, but its long-way around. but like I said, forget the bridges at Cairo.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Unless you are specifically going to Memphis, I would take I-55 at West Memphis, Arkansas.

You could go all the way up to I-57 and then US 62, OR

You could take I-155 over to Dyersburg, Tennessee, then I-69 up to US 51 at Union City, TN to connect with the Purchase Parkway in Kentucky/US 45 on to Paducah.

Either way will work. I am more familiar with the I-155/Purchase Parkway route.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
DO NOT USE US62 ACROSS THE RIVERS AT CAIRO!!! And that is shouting for a reason! I would not even walk across those bridges!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.