cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moki Dugway

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
While we were in Monument Valley a couple of weeks ago we decided to check out Moki Dugway. Because it was so close I wanted to see it for myself. Very scenic drive, we drove up from Mexican Hat on 261, turned around at the top and came back down. There were several people on 261 with the same idea as us that day.

If you're ever in the area it's definately whole the trip.

Dan
6 REPLIES 6

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
11 months ago we did both of those sites but, from the North(top). We base camped in Blanding with the Adventurer and traveled both North and South from there in our Suzi GV. True there is some washboard going out to Muley Point and some in Valley of the Gods but both sites are worth a visit as is The Goose Necks, also up on top.

I was a little disappointed in that the dugway is really a road and not a dugway. Anyone know where there is a true dugway in the West or Southwest?

We did see one truck and boat w/trailer coming up from the valley and a semi going down w/ one 20' box. I would not pull going up.

Also if you camp up on top, drive up to the CofC Visitors center in Monticello. The road immediately north of the center is a beautiful drive up to about(IIRC) about 9k feet and then down into the Needles section of Canyonlands NP. The visitors center is a great place to get info on the whole area.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
According to the signs they don't allow trailers or RVs on the Dugway. We took our pick up truck. We did see a lot of cars on there too though. It was a bright sunny day and dry so it really was a piece of cake. The views were great! We stopped several times to take pictures.

Dan

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
The Dugway is wide enough to be comfortable with an RV, however the two times I drove it without the trailer it was washboarded enough that I'm glad I left it behind.

By the way, if you do get to the top of the Dugway, be sure to take the Muley Point Road to the end. Another often washboarded road, but the view at the end is wonderful.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I drove down it in 1978 in a 20ft class C.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what did you drive on that with? I wouldn't do it in a RV myself.
'bumpy

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We are going to be in that area in a month or so.
Is the road to Bullfrog paved? That I think is Utah 276

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker