cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Gas Stations Are Opening

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
New and revamped stations that are appearing here in the northern part of Mexico. Change is coming.

More to come I'm sure.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
77 REPLIES 77

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
That's Mexico and you choose to live here part of the year. I chose to make it my home. I do the best I can as an individual and contribute where and whenever I can. I too live in a rural area. People have and make choices.

You say Mexico has no safety nets, they have many starting with all the freebies I mentioned in the post. We have pension programs for every worker, we have social healthcare and Seguro Popular for those that work under the table. I listed a million times how it works and what people in need have to do. Spread the word where you live. Maybe fishing isn't a viable business anymore and learning a new skill would be better.

Mexico, love it or leave it. That's how it works here. If Canada is so great why do so many try to escape it in the winter?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
You cannot compare Canada to Mexico. We in Canada have a social safety net that diminishes the affect of poverty. It is true that if you venture to Indian Reservations it is not much different than Mexico. I don't deny that there is a huge middle class. But just drive to all the fishing villages on the coast and nothing has changed. I wonder what the real statistics are for those who live well below the poverty line? Probably 25% of the population. Recently I have noticed far more beggars than in previous years. More shelters in the villages and the big cities. Yet the economy remains strong. So far!!! Maybe if the Governors in the Southern Mexican states had not ran off with hundreds of millions there would be something left to help the needy.
I see that Mexico is higher up in the most corrupt countries !

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
"It's a good thing. Mexico will be better off in the end. It will take time to change the mentality of people accustomed to government rhetoric and false promises of handouts."

Chris: You cannot be serious. It is one thing to post some political rhetoric. It is another to ignore facts. When you travel Mexico do you see all the citizens driving a vehicle that barely makes it down the road? Quite often they only use the car once a week. The whole family empties their pockets and manages to find enough coins to by 4 or 5 litres of fuel. All of their food staples have become more expensive. Everything from Tortillas to vegetables. Yesterday it was announced that medications are going up as well. Where are people supposed to get the money to buy these necessities? I don't see your Conservative business owners giving them a raise. Nor do I see Nieto giving them free food! Your comments would be correct if we were talking about Canada where the basic minimum wage allows you to buy 5 gallons of gas with 2 hours of wages. How long will it take an Albanil ( not a Maestro, just a grunt) to earn enough money for 20 litres of fuel? Many of these guys work for 250 to 300 pesos a day. And please don't give me that nonsense about these fellows lacking an education. Your post shows a lack of sensitivity for the plight of millions of Mexicans. Fuel is going up early next moth. The Government has said that as long as the Peso keeps dropping ( than you Trump) fuel will go up every month. Every time fuel goes up so do most consumer items. This is a serious problem. There is no simple solution but it needs more than comments blaming the poor for their problems. They need help not preaching! Between Mexico's trade problems, corrupt Governors and an inept Federal Government Mexico has some serious issues. You are an intelligent educated person. How about a little compassion?

Moisheh

What do you recommend? Continue to subsidize gasoline? Run the country into the ground like Venezuela with gasoline at .10 a gallon?

Mexicans consume 24,000,000 barrels of gasoline a month. That's a lot of fuel.

Sorry, but I believe your vision of Mexico is based on a very small swath. I just returned from Mexico City where the highways and avenues are packed. The majority of the cars are new. The same in Monterrey.

Mexico is much bigger and has a much larger middle class than anyone can imagine. When you rv and avoid major metro areas you see rural areas, low incomes, etc.

The same is true when we took our trip to Canada. Had we not ventured into major metro areas our vision would have been identical. Throughout the "great" southwest we saw abandoned towns, run-down shacks, people living off wages from McDonald's, food stamps and SNAP cards. People we talked too were second and third generation field workers picking potatoes and beets. The states were West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Oregon. We didn't go into major cities because we had the rv.

In Canada, more of the same as we headed across BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Mexico will adjust. It always does. The way out of poverty is the same in every country. It's my same old rant. Free education, free uniforms, free books, free breakfast, scholarships to universities (51% receive scholarships), free transport to school. What else?

I've worked in Texas towns where the schools have to provide dinner for students who return at 5 p.m. I don't know what the answer is not even for what some consider the greatest country in the world. They have the same problems.

You're beating a dead horse. Poverty is as old as human history. All I can do is "try" to help people find education. If they aren't interested, and many aren't, I can't help them. Nothing is for free and everything has a cost.

Again, I am not a rich American living in Mexico, I'm not retired and I get paid in pesos. I live like any other Mexican. I earn pesos, I don't have savings in the U.S. I have to live with this situation also.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
In 1346 the area known as China to us today built the GREAT WALL. It's purpose was to stop migration of the Mongol Hordes who had a nasty habit of raping and pillaging.

It never worked. This one wont either.

Think about Big Bend National park. right on the Rio Grande and the border You can walk across the river into Mexico. Long a haven for RV'ers.

How will the wall affect our National Park? Much of the best scenery is on the Mexican side. Picture Santa Elena Canyon, hundreds of feet deep with the river running through it and only about 30 to 50 feet wide. Where will this wall go?

Think of the great wall, the Berlin Wall, the Maginot Line, None of them ever worked.

As an RV'er I will have to speak up to save Big Bend.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
"It's a good thing. Mexico will be better off in the end. It will take time to change the mentality of people accustomed to government rhetoric and false promises of handouts."

Chris: You cannot be serious. It is one thing to post some political rhetoric. It is another to ignore facts. When you travel Mexico do you see all the citizens driving a vehicle that barely makes it down the road? Quite often they only use the car once a week. The whole family empties their pockets and manages to find enough coins to by 4 or 5 litres of fuel. All of their food staples have become more expensive. Everything from Tortillas to vegetables. Yesterday it was announced that medications are going up as well. Where are people supposed to get the money to buy these necessities? I don't see your Conservative business owners giving them a raise. Nor do I see Nieto giving them free food! Your comments would be correct if we were talking about Canada where the basic minimum wage allows you to buy 5 gallons of gas with 2 hours of wages. How long will it take an Albanil ( not a Maestro, just a grunt) to earn enough money for 20 litres of fuel? Many of these guys work for 250 to 300 pesos a day. And please don't give me that nonsense about these fellows lacking an education. Your post shows a lack of sensitivity for the plight of millions of Mexicans. Fuel is going up early next moth. The Government has said that as long as the Peso keeps dropping ( than you Trump) fuel will go up every month. Every time fuel goes up so do most consumer items. This is a serious problem. There is no simple solution but it needs more than comments blaming the poor for their problems. They need help not preaching! Between Mexico's trade problems, corrupt Governors and an inept Federal Government Mexico has some serious issues. You are an intelligent educated person. How about a little compassion?

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Took an Uber across all of Mexico City today. Interesting to see the price changes at the different gas stations. I know it is regional pricing right now, but when you've never seen different pricing it's a bit strange.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
It's a good thing. Mexico will be better off in the end. It will take time to change the mentality of people accustomed to government rhetoric and false promises of handouts.

After 90 years it will be hard to be responsible for ourselves and not relying on those false promises from the PRI.

Great movie to watch, "La Ley de Herodes". A parody about the PRI since its beginnings.

Gas may be cheap in the U.S. but it won't stay that way for long. Like always, it will go back up.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Persons that live on border towns and drive across to the US are used to pumping gas, further South that might be a very different animal, we shall wait and see the outcome of the gasolinazos.

navegator

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
I am in Donna, TX 6 miles north of the Mexican border. The local TV news interviewed a number of Mexican nationals who crossed the border just to buy gas. They all said it was worth the time spent in the border line to save money, but they also had to pump the gas themselves. Gas here is around $2.05 to $2.15 a gal.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I do not belive that any of the new gas stations will be self serve.

1. No Mexican is going to be caught pumping gas in his, her vehicle, it is considered a status simbol, you drive a car instead of walking or using public transportation.

2. The personel that pump fuel and check under the hood have a job, a comodity in Mexico, go to Home Depot or Walmart or any supermarket, even the 7-11 corner store has more personel than what you find in the USA.

3. Labor in Mexico is paid a lot, lot lower than the US annd is affordable for the owners of the enterprice, if you live in Mexico you can afford to have a live in person to help do the house cleaning, laundry, cooking, Etc.

And last and most important those atendants are greatfull to have a job.

No Mexican is going to be caught pumping theire own gas, what a disgrace!

Go to the supermarket or Costco, they get to the checkout counter with a cart full of stuff and wait until an attendant places the items on the band to be rung up, then they have a baging person push the cart to the vehicle and have them load it in the car, now the tip is very generous one incredible coin of five pesos.

In anthropology this is called "upward mmobility" they drive a car, ofcourse the upper middle class an higher ups "will never" pump gas themselfs.

navegator

clarlk
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
hope your rv fits threw the hole in the wall.

Everyone else can figure out how to get around under or over the wall but, But its known to keep all trump fans the feeling of security, Baffled and confused..

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
Good one Chris. maybe we should run for one of those positions! You remember when it was the 3 Amigos when NAFTA began. Now it would be the 3 Stooges!

Moisheh

Now that made for a happy hour guffaw! :B

And yes, I do remember those days. Geez, I'm already speaking in past tense.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Good one Chris. maybe we should run for one of those positions! You remember when it was the 3 Amigos when NAFTA began. Now it would be the 3 Stooges!

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
I doubt there will be true competition. Lots of taxes included in the fuel. Up till now the stations cannot use their own trucks to bring in fuel. Pemex will charge plenty for that. 10,000 people marched in HMO against the pricing. In Baja it was 60,000. People are upset. Wait until Feb. when it goes up again. Although the pricing is supposed to be for one month if the peso drops or world oil prices go up Pemex will raise them even more. Really does not affect tourists that much but sure hurts the locals.

Moisheh

Remember, after Feb. 18th the price will be calculated on a 24 hour basis based on the dollar and oil prices. It could just go down, nobody knows.

I see this as a positive move that had to take place eventually before the walls crumbled too much. Could it have been done in a better way such as gradual increase again this year? Possibly.

You're right, for tourists the price is basically the same in dollars as the dollar as gone up and the peso down. The price based on currency exchange hovers around $2.85 per gallon.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
Without trying to be political Mexico needs a real President. This guy has done nothing. He is very unpopular with good reason.

Moisheh

I believe there is a plot by a foreign country to destroy North America. Look at the three countries and their (new) leaders. I think all three countries are in for a ride.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS