cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Gas Stations Are Opening

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
New and revamped stations that are appearing here in the northern part of Mexico. Change is coming.

More to come I'm sure.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
77 REPLIES 77

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
But if as you wrote the increase is a good thing then Mexicans will have no need to hold rallies. They will be joyous that they cannot afford to drive their cars. Do not hold your breath waiting for gasoline to drop in price!

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
navegator wrote:
Next February 4th is the next "gasolinazo" cheap gas maybe 20.00 pesos a liter and 25.00 pesos for the expensive gasolina, it only hurts those that can afford it the least, taxis have gone up 5.00 pesos from the regular price.

navegator

You're speculating. Geez, I've said at least three times on this thread. The price will fluctuate depending on the dollar and the price of oil. It could go up or down.

Where are you getting your information? These false flags really confuse people and get them riled up.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Next February 4th is the next "gasolinazo" cheap gas maybe 20.00 pesos a liter and 25.00 pesos for the expensive gasolina, it only hurts those that can afford it the least, taxis have gone up 5.00 pesos from the regular price.

navegator

mexicoruss
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should do what you do for the holy reason that you do it. Beyond that it is un real that you think anybody can understand it. There will always be poor people. They will always need. If you are there to help, good on you. If you drive a big ole rv in a foreign country all fat and happy....you don't have a voice unless you do something good for somebody else. that's all
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Daniele: Please tell me just what in that quote you posted is outdated. I see the poverty every day and work with organizations that are trying to make change. For 7 years I ran a charity that provided food for the needy every Xmas. Some of those people live in cardboard shacks with no running water. Kids and dogs everywhere. They get next to no help from DIF. So my posts are based on what I see in my Mexico. There are hundreds of villages along the coast that are the same. This is in sharp contrast to the wealth that prevails in many large cities. There is more than one Mexico! So just what is outdated in my post?
Foundation

Moisheh

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
moisheh wrote:
"It's a good thing. Mexico will be better off in the end. It will take time to change the mentality of people accustomed to government rhetoric and false promises of handouts."

Chris: You cannot be serious. It is one thing to post some political rhetoric. It is another to ignore facts. When you travel Mexico do you see all the citizens driving a vehicle that barely makes it down the road? Quite often they only use the car once a week. The whole family empties their pockets and manages to find enough coins to by 4 or 5 litres of fuel. All of their food staples have become more expensive. Everything from Tortillas to vegetables. Yesterday it was announced that medications are going up as well. Where are people supposed to get the money to buy these necessities? I don't see your Conservative business owners giving them a raise. Nor do I see Nieto giving them free food! Your comments would be correct if we were talking about Canada where the basic minimum wage allows you to buy 5 gallons of gas with 2 hours of wages. How long will it take an Albanil ( not a Maestro, just a grunt) to earn enough money for 20 litres of fuel? Many of these guys work for 250 to 300 pesos a day. And please don't give me that nonsense about these fellows lacking an education. Your post shows a lack of sensitivity for the plight of millions of Mexicans. Fuel is going up early next moth. The Government has said that as long as the Peso keeps dropping ( than you Trump) fuel will go up every month. Every time fuel goes up so do most consumer items. This is a serious problem. There is no simple solution but it needs more than comments blaming the poor for their problems. They need help not preaching! Between Mexico's trade problems, corrupt Governors and an inept Federal Government Mexico has some serious issues. You are an intelligent educated person. How about a little compassion?

Moisheh

What do you recommend? Continue to subsidize gasoline? Run the country into the ground like Venezuela with gasoline at .10 a gallon?

Mexicans consume 24,000,000 barrels of gasoline a month. That's a lot of fuel.

Sorry, but I believe your vision of Mexico is based on a very small swath. I just returned from Mexico City where the highways and avenues are packed. The majority of the cars are new. The same in Monterrey.

Mexico is much bigger and has a much larger middle class than anyone can imagine. When you rv and avoid major metro areas you see rural areas, low incomes, etc.

The same is true when we took our trip to Canada. Had we not ventured into major metro areas our vision would have been identical. Throughout the "great" southwest we saw abandoned towns, run-down shacks, people living off wages from McDonald's, food stamps and SNAP cards. People we talked too were second and third generation field workers picking potatoes and beets. The states were West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Oregon. We didn't go into major cities because we had the rv.

In Canada, more of the same as we headed across BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Mexico will adjust. It always does. The way out of poverty is the same in every country. It's my same old rant. Free education, free uniforms, free books, free breakfast, scholarships to universities (51% receive scholarships), free transport to school. What else?

I've worked in Texas towns where the schools have to provide dinner for students who return at 5 p.m. I don't know what the answer is not even for what some consider the greatest country in the world. They have the same problems.

You're beating a dead horse. Poverty is as old as human history. All I can do is "try" to help people find education. If they aren't interested, and many aren't, I can't help them. Nothing is for free and everything has a cost.

Again, I am not a rich American living in Mexico, I'm not retired and I get paid in pesos. I live like any other Mexican. I earn pesos, I don't have savings in the U.S. I have to live with this situation also.

I agree wholeheartedly. His view of Mexico is limited and seems to spring from living in Canada more than Mexico. Many of his views and ideas about Mexico are just outdated.

You can have 10 years of experience (and grow and move ahead)

Or you can have one years experience ten times over (and remain essentially stagnant)

Sadly some of the Old Mexico Hands that haunt this forum and comment on everything continue to dish out some very outdated information and ideas about the country. (To say nothing of dubious economic theories)

I think it valuable to correct this misinformation and you did a good job of that.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps we have strayed a little-far from the original topic???
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/22000-Migrant-Laborers-from-Mexico-May-Work-in-Canada-in-2016-20151230-0016.html

EXCERPT

According to the grassroots advocacy organization Justice for Migrant Workers, based in Mexico City, Toronto, and Vancouver, migrant farm workers are vulnerable to exploitation due to language barriers, racism, isolation in rural areas, and other factors.

Temporary workers also often suffer substandard housing conditions, inadequate access to healthcare, and discriminatory pay while doing hard and sometimes dangerous labor Canadian residents are not willing to do.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
Visa requirements were not dropped. The ads I have seen are for farm and ranch workers. Lots of Mexicans do seasonal work in Canada. They love it: Free health care at real medical facilities!, minimum wage of around $10.00 an hour, decent working conditions. The Canadian employers love the Mexican workers. They have a great work ethic. A win/win!

Moisheh

From the Canadian embassy

Canada lifts visa requirement on Mexico
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
Visa requirements were not dropped. The ads I have seen are for farm and ranch workers. Lots of Mexicans do seasonal work in Canada. They love it: Free health care at real medical facilities!, minimum wage of around $10.00 an hour, decent working conditions. The Canadian employers love the Mexican workers. They have a great work ethic. A win/win!

Moisheh

Good. I'll spread the word and we can send another 120 million Mexicans to Canada.

They love it so much for the money that they always come back home. 🙂

$10 an hour isn't a living wage in Canada. No way.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer

Moisheh

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
"Mexico, love it or leave it. That's how it works here. If Canada is so great why do so many try to escape it in the winter? "

Chris you know that was a ridiculous statement! Snow and cold are 4 letter words!

Moisheh

Not ridiculous at all. It's so great, old age pensions, free healthcare for all, safety nets.

That's why they make it hard for you to stay out of the country for very long. You are chained to the benefits.

There's skiing, sledding, malls, outdoor snow camping, snow mobiles, the West coast isn't as cold as other parts.

Why are we constantly seeing so many ads for Mexican professionals to move to Canada? Why did they drop the strict visa requirements for Mexicans?

I like Canada, but it has way too many rules for us. Although I have to say that the old age pension is attractive.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
"Mexico, love it or leave it. That's how it works here. If Canada is so great why do so many try to escape it in the winter? "

Chris you know that was a ridiculous statement! Snow and cold are 4 letter words!

Moisheh

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
" Sorry, but I believe your vision of Mexico is based on a very small swath. I just returned from Mexico City where the highways and avenues are packed. The majority of the cars are new. The same in Monterrey."

I've been traveling in Mexico since 1999, and the changes that have taken place in those 18 years astounds me. Selfishly, I liked it better with the roads less crowded - but that is selfish. I'm glad that Mexico's standard of living is improving and happy for the people there.

We travel by motorcycle for the time being and I'm having to book hotels months in advance just to be sure we have a room when we get there. Just a few years ago tumbleweed was practically blowing down the streets in Mazatlan's Gold Zone, now, it's busy again.
Maybe not so much for RV's, but tourism must be picking up quickly.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this previously. Not the latest figures. Numbers have been increasing every month recently. What percent of fuel consumed in Mexico comes from the US?

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_expc_a_EPM0F_EEX_mbbl_m.htm

US PETROLEUM EXPORT – THOUSAND BARRELS PER MONTH (add ,000 – in other words millions of barrels – at 42 gallons per barrel – or now over 500 million gallons per month of gasoline)
.....May-1.....Jun-16.....Jul-16.....Aug-16.....Sep-16.....Oct-16
Mexico
Finished Motor Gasoline

15PPM DIESEL

Diesel Greater than 15ppm but less than 500ppm

Diesel greater than 500ppm to 2000ppm