cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Los mochis RV park

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I have been in communication with a Mexican man who lives in Vancouver, His father owns land north of Los Mochis and is thinking of putting in an RV park. For those who have driven 15D, you may remember a toll booth between Los Mochis & El Carrizo, followed by a hill northbound. The location is just north of that toll booth 1/2 km off 15D. He will be putting in water, power and at least a sani dump.

Would people use this instead of boondocking at a Pemex?

I hope to check the site out myself northbound in March and we currently have 2 sets of wagon masters heading north in late December to pick up caravans, so I will also have the check out what is there and maybe use it if the parking is available even without services at this point.
43 REPLIES 43

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
If he can advertise his RV Park as a holding area as well, for the RV owners taking the Copper Canyon railroad, he could draw a few more rigs a year/season. If I follow the posts enough, there seems to be an appetite for RV parking in El Fuerte, where a nearby station allows boarding the train at a better time and with less travel and that is not particularly attractive until one gets into the mountains. Years ago at El Fuerte, an older American looked after a place to park an RV, but apparently that is not available anymore. The old RV park in Los Moches that we once we saw flooded with water, had several nice motorhomes parked then. Water was close to "boarding" some of them indicating that owners were absent,likely on the Creel railroad trip. The Pemex we used to stop at would never have rigs left among those trucks. I understand the road north from El Fuerte right now is in bad shape, but for this time, that could bode well if an RV Park wants to get the Copper Canyon train travelers business to park again in Los Moches.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
from what I understand he already has power sewer and water available, so not too big an investment. Hard to see until I look myself. His son is fluent in English, he lives in Canada.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Basic boondocking, safe utility water and well-designed dump station. Security night lighting and a restroom.
A rancho can make extra money by side-lining chorizo, queso de rancho and fresh ranch eggs. Establish predominant seasonal wind patterns and have diesel rigs park down wind.
A total occupancy of 400 rigs seasonally at fifteen dollars a night is $6,000. With deductions for maintenance, fence repair, and area lighting electrical this is not enough to finance a Lexus 🙂

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly, the wagon master for our Airstream caravan will check the property out first week in Jan and provide some advice. He runs an RV park in Canada. It will be a step above a Pemex and a lot quieter. Probably more secure as well considering here is a federale station a few hundred meters away. I believe the property is fenced. It is not within any town boundaries so I imagine zoning is not an issue.

Talleyho69
If I understand correctly, this is not going to be a full blown RV park, but a place for secure overnight parking in an area between two destinations that are 500 miles apart. Not a destination, not a place that will provide washrooms and individual sewer dumps. Simply a place that has electricity of some description, possibly water to each of a small number of parking place/sites, and one sewer dump. Probably be the old classic dump if there is one-the submerged 55 gallon drum with holes in it.

It would be a step above dry camping at a Pemex for most people and would definitely beat the 500 mile drive between San Carlos and Mazatlan.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho. If one cannot afford say $900 for 15 meters then they should forget about starting an RV park. In the USA a new RV park would cost about $5000 to $10000 per site. Even in Mexico there are lots of costs. How about $5000 or more just for a transformer from the CFE. If the park is not near some heavy wires there is another cost to bring the lines to the park. You need a large septic system. Underground copper wiring. Power pedestals.Levelling of the land. Maybe gravel. Washroom.Small office. Then you have to tackle the bureaucracy that will put sticks in your wheels. Zoning,permits and lots of mordida! Why worry about a few meters.

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Down here, $60 is a LOT!

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
Unfortunately, installing meters is expensive.
Remanufactured meters for use on RV pedestals cost about $60.00 US. Installation is simple, basically just plug them in. They are actually very plentiful since utility companies are replacing manually read meters with meters that transmit the readings electronically. The big cost and hassle is reading them daily and figuring out how to collect the money before the guest leaves. That's why in the US only monthly sites are usually metered and either a Credit Card or a cash deposit is required.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
One of the parks in Patzcuaro has a breaker box at each site. It is a 15 amp breaker. The wiring is barely adequate so you cannot use a lot of electricity. Cheap way to prevent people from using electric heaters. Water lines are cheap to run. A number of years ago I sent a letter to the tourism secretary. At that time the Government Mexico was promoting micro industries. I suggested that schools could open small over night spaces on the school grounds. They would be fenced with one water spigot. No electricity. Just a safe place to stay. The teachers could get the Kids to do some folkloric dancing and singing if a few rigs were present. Then pass around a collection plate. Rates would be minimal. Maybe $5.00 a nite. RV'rs would have a safe place to stay and the schools could earn a few $$. Of course I never heard back!

Moisheh

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
That park is closed. This new one could be profitable just on over-nighters. It is a working ranch so it is not their only source of income. One of our wagon masters runs an RV park in Canada and he will be checking it out and giving them advice on how to set it up the cheapest way possible. I think a common sani dump would be sufficient as all the traffic will be overnighters. Even a common water fill would be sufficient.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
We camped at the hotel south of Los Mochis that had the amusement park attached in 1999 - there was a small campground that was part of the hotel. Can't remember the name but back then the campground was all but deserted in early April. There were a lot more RVers in Mexico back then than there are today, plus the train was still running to Creel. Point is it would be nice to have a campground midway between Mazatlan and the border but it probably would not be too profitable.

Talleyho69
Unfortunately, installing meters is expensive.

stanbnv
Explorer
Explorer
When we stayed at Chris's park in Celestino several years ago, they metered each site for electricity. That would be acceptable, but shutting of electric in the middle of the night would be a deal breaker.
Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat & Loki
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
2017 Open Range Roamer 316RLS
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
We often traveled solo, and Pelorica, as it was called then was, in fact, our destination stop on the way farther south. This was after the Los Mosches ( near downtown) chicken-surrounded RV lot, was off our list after we found it flooded with a foot of standing water. But the final year at that Pemex lot, we had found ourselves alone, no other RV'ers there, in with a sea of Mexican rigs, with partying going on next to us. Remembering that we had once had a bicycle stolen off our bike rack there, and by night fall and nothing had changed next door, we pulled out in darkness and stopped at the next Pemex, not far down the road. Next day, Mazatlan. That year we left through Texas, our final trip to mainland Mexico. Our dry camping beach and the larger main beach, had been taken over at gunpoint by about 60 Jalisco riot police with automatic rifles soon after, in August of 2010. Four years later, we had a gathering of more than twenty campers who had become good friends, at that beach, in Southern California. None there had then been driving to Mexico in recent years.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
That used to Asian,now its Mexican. That lot is very dusty (fine dust) and noisy as trucks come in an out. I have used it twice, but if I could drive another 30-40 minutes north and stay in a better spot, I would. I would rather pay a small amount to encourage a local to set up parking, especially if it is more secure.