cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new york to key west

ceasare
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling from Staten Island New York to Key West leaving New York on 5/30/14. I know 95 south all the way but do you think it's worth it, time wise, to take some other routes? thanks
8 REPLIES 8

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
I used to drive I81 south to I77 but in the past few years truck traffic has increased exponentially. And there are only two lanes. By midday truck convoys clog the road. I78 to I81 south to I66 to Rt17 to I95 is now my preferred route. 295 bypass around Richmond. With three lanes most of the way now I95 moves better than I81. The I81 route to 77 does have nicer scenery but even a small accident backs up traffic for long long ways because of only two lanes. 95 between DC and Boston is a hell hole to be avoided.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We have gone from Kingston area of ny to keys and doing route 31 and cutting over on 64 east in Richmond adds about 100 miles. To me it seems longer but the ride is much nicer. Gas is cheaper too.

Conversely we have also done route 95 during the night hours...arranging to overnight at the Virginia welcome center about 1/2 hour past DC...getting there around 11 pm. At any rate we don't do balt/dc during daylight hours as it is too congested and not fun.

Try both...NJ will also be very congested...

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Heading south on I-95 this time of year, I'd think most of the traffic will be heading north.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many miles does taking 81 add to the trip. I travel at night and traffic is not a problem late at night. I might try 81 though just for a change of pace if it does not add a lot of miles.

Thanks
Brian

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennis M M wrote:
Why fight the traffic on I-95 which goes through some of the densest population areas in the country? I always have used I-81 between VA and the Northeast.

I'd agree with that, both the route suggestion and getting out of that dense population corridor. I guess a lot has to do with what your timetable is -- are you in a hurry to get down there, or are you going to sort of meander down there?

Now, it's been a long time since I drove routes back East, but I grew up back there (in NJ) and watched some of the interstates being built. I-81 was always one of my favourites, for getting out of the heavy population areas. I'd take I-78 out of the City into PA and grab I-81 down through VA. From there, a variety of different routes to get down to Key West. You could take I-77 south of Roanoke VA down to Columbia SC, pick up I-26 down to I-95 and take that down to Key West. I've also done US 29 from the DC area down through VA and into NC. Any number of alternative routes to get further south, again depending on what your timetable is. You could even take good ole Route 1 if you really want to meander! Dunno if I'd do that down in Florida though...might be a be too slow!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Why fight the traffic on I-95 which goes through some of the densest population areas in the country? I always have used I-81 between VA and the Northeast.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
Just back from Florida this week - and might suggest taking 295 through NJ. Lots of construction on NJ Trpk. When we went south 1st week of Jan. we were in backup the whole length of the trpk. Less stressful on 295; and cheaper, although that was not the main concern. We always use 95 only because Jan. weather forbids inland routes and in the spring we are homesick and want to just get home...my 2 cents. Enjoy the ride.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
That is up to you and what you like to do. Antiquing? historical sites? museums? or what have you. The whole point is to get away, slow down, relax and see something new and different. I personally don't like to stay on the interstate. Not too much to see but semi trucks and pavement. If time is essential then do what you gotta do.