cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Niagara Falls to Michigan

Red_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I will be in Niagara Falls in July, then plan on making several stops in Michigan. Had planned on traveling I-90/80 across NY,PA,OH and IND and up thru Michigan. Looked at the map and thinking about driving across Ontario to Port Huron,Mi.---a much shorter distance. Has anyone else driven this route and how was the route? Thanks for any information to help me decide.
8 REPLIES 8

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Last time we traveled through Ontario from Niagara Falls to Sarnia (2009) we spent a long time in Canadian Customs in Niagara Falls. They went through the motorhome from one end to the other. We plan to be out east this summer and will NOT be going through Canada on the way back west, even though it is shorter.

We are no hurry so will travel NY 5 from Buffalo to the OH state line, then jump on I-90 to west of Cleveland, then OH 2 west to Toledo. We have traveled that route before (since we avoid the toll roads) and it is definitely longer and slower - - but that's our choice. It may or may not be yours. Just our 2 cents.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Matt_Colie wrote:
Canada roads are good, but the OPP have little sense of humor. Better than Ohio that targets Out of State plates.

Matt

I don't think I understand that one Matt. In most of the US doing just a few mph over the limit will get you a ticket. In Ontario there isn't even a fine until you're doing 15 kmh (about 10 mph) over the speed limit and in practice, if you're doing 20 or 25 over the limit even the school bus drivers will be getting antsy behind you because you're going to slow.

A few years back the (then) head of the OPP publicly stated that at less than 25 over the limit you likely wouldn't be stopped if you're driving sanely, but if you're doing the limit and jumping lanes and driving poorly you could expect a roadside chat.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared for grumpy border officials on either side of the border. I have seen them do a total bumper to bumper "strip search" of a MH. Don't know why they were but I was glad it wasn't me. Didn't have anything to hide but that guy was stuck for quite a while for sure. It may have been a random event or perhaps they had reason to be suspicious. Who knows. I haven't crossed over since.

Also check with your insurance companies. Friend of mine's wife broke her ankle in Canada and their health insurance did not cover any of the hospital costs for the emergency room, doctors, xrays etc.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Did that several years ago. Only difference between Canadian and American roads is that the signage is in metric. Scenery on the Canadian side of the falls is better than the American. Don't forget you passport.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
DW has family in Canada and we have run both routes.
Sarnia/Port Huron is a better entry than Windsor/Detroit.
The traffic in Windsor is kind of bad right now because they are getting it ready for the new bridge.

Canada roads are good, but the OPP have little sense of humor. Better than Ohio that targets Out of State plates.

If for some unfortunate reason (like a DUI or carrying) you have to come across Ohio, get back to me for special instructions.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Have done it both ways I would say it's more RURAL...basically in Canada ,and you know, just what you like .

I think it basically feels shorter going that way
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, we crossed the border at Port Huron/Sarnia. Good roads all the way. We crossed back over at Niagara Falls, NY and went on south on our planned itinerary.

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven round trip from the falls to Detroit. I enjoyed the trip. Many years ago, the roads were comparable to our own. Speed limits were much like our own. You will enjoy the scenery better than along our turnpikes and freeways.