cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NJ/NY Highway 209

ss573
Explorer
Explorer
I let Google maps plot a toll free route from Philadelphia towards Maine. It takes me onto highway 209 through New Jersey and New York. It appears to be good roads but is there anything with which to be concerned??

We will be traveling with another RV flat towing a vehicle. The route looks to be scenic. I'm looking for opinions on traffic...hazards...etc.

Thanks in advance for any information. 🙂
2015 Thor Pilazzo 33.2
2017 Jeep Cherokee Toad
5 REPLIES 5

ss573
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all !!! We are headed to Nova Scotia in August and won't be carrying any weapons.....except maybe the odd kitchen knife or two. :B

I certainly don't mind slower speeds. Now that DW and I are retired, it's good to slow down some and stop occasionally to see what we can find along the way.

See you down the road !!!
2015 Thor Pilazzo 33.2
2017 Jeep Cherokee Toad

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
We often use 209 as a "shortcut" between I-84 and I-80, through the Water Gap National Park. We then pick-up 33 of of I-80, down to US22 and I-78. I'm less likely to use the NY section of 209, as it's too easy to get behind a dump truck or other slow mover, that holds you down to 40mph, with very few passing zones....
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the status of 209 as I think there is some closure near the Delaware Water Gap.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
209 is one of the old pre-interstate roads. Before the 50s, this was how you got anywhere. Like 202 and 206, they are all as good as anything else, just slower. You will find some speed zones and traffic lights, but they will be towns where real people live.

Check me on this, but I don't think 209 actually goes into NJ. This is good news if you carry anything that could at any time in the past be construed as part of any kind of weapon. I will do anything to avoid New Jersey and I lived there once.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
209 is a good road. Through PA most of it is in the Delaware National Rec Area. The speed limits are 25- 45 mph, but it's only 26 miles. In NY it is mostly 55 mph, but it goes through small towns. The NY section is full of old Huguenot (French Protestant settlers) homes and farms. It's not a fast ride but it is interesting.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew